Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Union of Layers?

Question Union of Layers?

Hi all-

I'm new to VCarvePro (and ShopBot too) and am trying to design something that is made up of layers, where the top layer sits on top of the bottom layer, with both at different depths. So if I have a pattern on the bottom layer, I'd like to have text on the upper layer.

The problem is that I can't figure out how to tell the program to remove the bottom layer, ignoring the intersection of the two. I end up with either this (top-down) or this, bottom-up.

I'm guessing the secret lies somewhere in union-ing the two layers, preserving their specific cuts and depths, somehow, but can't seem to find it in the program.

Thanks for any info!

Ron (tachoknight)

Both the pictures look the same.

Can't quite follow what is you're trying to do but look at start depths on the toolpaths to start cutting at a pre-cut level.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Ron, does this multi-layer text thread help? Like Adrian said both pictures look identical.
    http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.p...height#p116252
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Toolpath one layer then turn off that layer and toolpath the other one
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Default Take 2

I thought I had saved both, but apparently not and I couldn't figure out what I did to get the "other" image. Sorry, I'm still new.

I whipped this up as an example of what I'm trying to do. I have the boxes on one layer, and the cylinder on another, only because I thought that was the right way to do it.

Hope that helps in clearing up the confusion. Sorry about the duplicate images.

Ron, does this piece "lock" into a mating piece? or is a stand alone item?
    Reason I ask is because of the radius of the bit it will give you the same radius where the cylinder meets the square.
    I might post the .crv and the image on the vectric forum as a .crv back would probably help you the most and it's just easier on the Vectric forum to post files.
    Also more international, so not zoning out on tryptophan
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott, thanks for the link in your first reply; I've been trying to apply it to my squares-n-cylinder thing but haven't come up with anything useful, but I'm still trying (between eating/cleaning up/dishing up pie and ice cream ).

This would be a stand alone item. What I'm trying to make is a cover for a book; an intricate background with raised text (as well as other designs). It's sort of like this book cover. I plan on using a 1/32" bit for the fine details; does that help?

Ron, like this?
    E-mail me under my contact options and I'll shoot you the .crv of one way to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

Default layers

Not sure what you are attempting... but

I usually name my layers to be related to the name of the tool path.

The toolpath name always has a depth number such as 500 for a 1/2 inch depth. Be careful using too many decimals or dots in a tool path name.

The best way to preview your V Carve project is to.... turn off all the line work.... and then turn on your tool paths one at a time to see if they are correct.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

There's a few ways of doing it. I've attached a VCarve file that will produce the attached image.

To get the vectors for the second layer you need to select the four squares and the circle then click the Weld icon in Edit Objects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/