Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second try with Partworks3D

Default Second try with Partworks3D

Tried Partworks3D one morning Last December and liked (sort of) the results, but thought it took to long to make money at it for Dad. Didn't really have any files that moved me either.
    Brian got me going on owls yesterday, and then a guy on Vectric showed a 3slice .STL he did with this model and I loved it/bought it/ tried to remember stuff from last year(failed )/carved it! Love it!! Going to oil it and give to Dad as an early Christmas
    http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21208
    Need to do some homework, couldn't even figure out how to get my .0625"Tapered BN into the database as you can tell by the marks. 4X4" only has a .01"skin left, still undecided on cutout, probably just Oil it.
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott…
    Nice “miniature”! Here’s what I did with the same file… I’d missed the post on the Vectric forum, thanks for the link! Mine is a single layer. My daughter “confiscated” this one and other family members have put “dibs” on the next ones… Time to visit a friends mill to see if I can find some more “slabs”!
    The one on the Vectric site was masterfully painted, I just lightly sprayed mine with a rattle can flat black and lightly sanded the highlights…
    SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would love to try a 3d like this but have no clue what speed/bits to use. Would you be willing to share your settings for the owl as an example, feedrates, bits, rough vs finish and timing? I would really appreciate it. I am working on my Christmas presents now and this would be a great one for my son.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Steve, Thanks for tip about paint--That looks really nice!!(I can see why it got "appropriated"). Did you separate the owl element in Aspire? Only have Partworks3D, so not very much I can change(Kind of Klunky). Really like the bark/bare wood effect on this one though.Wish I had Aspire as if I could just raise the area behind the owls head and then only cut 1 slice .25"--it would be kind of a neat but very expensive button
    Wish I hadn't used a split scrap that has a test dado on the edge and a 28 yr old cut list written on the back though as it really limits my options if I want to give it to Dad tomorrow
    Joe, Need to look at it under better light now that espresso is kicking in. Desktop starter bits would work. Used a CEnturion .25FEM Down for rough, but ONsrud .25 Down would work as well. Used the ONsrud .0625" Tapered BN.
    Like I said basically a beginner also(first time the BN has ever been used). Only ever used the 1/8"BN on some open pore Ash last year to do some V3M's that came with Desktop on one board-so I was really "guesstimating".
    Did the little one first and left .02" machining allowance and then ran the BN with the grain and then used the "make second pass 90degrees to first pass option" and noticed the with grain pass lifted fibers enough to leave toolmarks.
    Big one, first pass was against the grain and second 90 pass was with and MUCH cleaner cut.
    Used 2 different sets of settings-little one WAY too conservative. Big one roughed at "use 3D raster" 1.4, .4,10.5K .09"pass depth with .02" allowance. Finish with 1/16"tapered 2,2,16K 6.5% step. Made a note in log to cut allowance to .015" and try 3,3,16K 7% step next time. But just guessing, as this was the first time I've cut a bought .stl and I've forgotten most of what I learned on that Ash board a year ago Refresher course coming up
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott,

Thanks for the info, I don't have a tapered BN yet but I do have BNs down to 1/16. I'll give those a try first. I have been to several sites that have free .stl and downloaded quite a bit. I'm off work for 2weeks during Xmas so will give this a try then, hopefully I will be caught up with other things by then. I will update this thread once I give 3d a try.

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Aspire 9.0

Joe…
    I strongly encourage you to buy some tapered bullnose bits! You’ll break the others so fast it’ll make your head spin! A tapered bit has the strength of the shank diameter and cuts the detail of the tip… I’ve never actually cut with a 1/16” bit… I’ve broken them tightening the collet, bumping them with the wrench and just looking at them wrong! I know that the tapered bits are crazy expensive, but I’ve had good success with eBay Chinese ones.
    Recently while I was cutting a 3D project, (running horses posted earlier) my brushes went out on my router about 5 hours into the finish cut, sensing a change in sound from the next room, I discovered my 1/8” tapered bit “scratching” the .02” finish cut off just fine! It sounded like the proverbial finger nails on the chalk board though! BUT, the bit didn’t break!
    SG

Steve,

Tried looking on ebay and most of the are 6mm shank, do you have a link to the ones you get? I do have 1/8" and 1/4" ball nose, just no tapered.
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Aspire 9.0

Get the 6mm and other collets!
    SG

http://www.elairecorp.com/portercabl...i5kaAvAf8P8HAQ

Steve,

I knew that would be your answer and my finger was on the buy button for some metric sizes from the CNCRoutershop.com UK site, prices have been great as has been shipping. I have the 3hp Colombo ER25 Spindle....

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Aspire 9.0

Opps, wrong site, it's the arceurotrade.co.uk site....
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Aspire 9.0