Thread: Creating or buying CNC Lathe.

Default Creating or buying CNC Lathe.

We are looking at getting a bunch of column work next year. Probably about 200 pieces, 6 styles, somewhat intricate. We sent them out to another shop this year because we didn't have a machine that is setup properly for it. They range in diameter from 12" to 24" and just under 8ft long. They would be made out of foam since they are just scenic pieces. Any idea of where I can purchase a lathe that would fit this? Or if there are plans to build one with shop bot motors and control box would be great as well.

Thanks

Contact Shopbot, they have built a stand alone indexer: http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php...-indexer-tool/

http://www.legacycncwoodworking.com/ also makes some large CNC Indexers. Don't know anything about them.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Default Interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had no idea Shopbot had built an indexer, I sent them a message and will see what they say.

Some of the guys do awesome stuff with their ShopBot indexers! Russ

AKA: Da Train Guy

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Ryan that is a picture of the dragon I turned on my Bot for a NorthWest Camp I attended. The problem with the ShopBot indexer is it is time consuming to make projects of any size, such as the picture. Not that it can't do it but if you are trying to make a living at it then take it into consideration. That turning ran a little over twenty hours. If I can help be sure to contact me. I can only guess what a CNC lathe would cost. Of course if you are turning foam you can run at a much faster pace.

Of course, if those columns are non-structural, maybe they could be made by "slicing" a model, cutting out the slices on the Bot, and then gluing them up. Just a thought. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Hello Gentlemen,

I’m Nate, and am part of the ShopBot Production Support team. My job is to help customers configure tools to best meet their needs. The turning size of 24 inches by 8 feet you’re getting into is beyond a normally sized ShopBot. Fortunately, the hardware we use is very modular and can be set up in many configurations. The rendering shows a setup we did for a company cutting large tubes and would be along the lines of what you’d need to do the operation you’re talking about.

The standalone indexer Ken mentioned is another example of a tool designed around a specific application. Its cutting area isn’t nearly what you’d need but it illustrates the ability to tailor a tool to exactly what you need.

With regard to cutting time, there is always going to be a tradeoff between resolution and cutting speed. A larger round over bit with more stepover will speed things up tremendously. Since you’re doing foam you’ll also be able to speed up or eliminate the roughing stage as well.

Regards,
    Nate Zellmer
    Attached Images Attached Images

If your making them out of foam why not use a Hotwire cutter, CNC of course. Would be 1000 times faster.
    Don