Thread: Sanding Sleeve Slippage

Default Sanding Sleeve Slippage

On my oscillating spindle sander i have the cylindrical sanding sleeve with the neoprene sleeve on the shaft of the spindle sander and the everything is new and about halfway into doing a bunch of sanding the neoprene sleeve with the sandpaper stops spinning when wood contacts it. The shaft is spinning the sleeve is just not catching and just stops even with the lightest contact.
    I can't tell if it is slipping between the shaft and the neoprene or the neoprene and the sanding sleeve. I have a washer on bottom and top and screwed down tight.

Does anyone have a trick to make the sleeve stick to the shaft better?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Are the sleeves you're using from a new supplier?

I had a similar problem - turned out that my sanding spindles were metric, and the sleeves I bought were Imperial (SAE). The subtle difference in size was enough to cause slippage.

Other than that, I don't have a good answer for your problem, aside from ensuring that the nut on the top of the spindle are torqued down (which I'm sure is the first thing you checked).

the sleeves and inserts are what came with the unit, not something bought seperately.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

How i solved the problem..........I took the rubber sleeve over to my reddy heater and stuck it in the heat for a few seconds and got it nice and warm and pliable, stuck it on the spindle, stuck the sleeve on it and it stuck on there nice and tight and hasn't slipped at all.
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Jack, sounds like you may be using the wrong washer with the sleeve. If it is like mine you have to be sure the washer is smaller than the inside diameter of the sleeve. If not it tightens to the sleeve and does not compress the rubber sleeve which will not let it make the sleeve larger in diameter.

Sounds to me like you need to read the book cause I think Daryl is right I've never had mine slip in 10 years

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

It could be the nut on the top of the sleeve is not tight enough like Daryl said or it could be the nut using it . LOL is the spindle holding the sleeve seated in the keyway or is it just the sleeve spinning

Sounds to me like you need to read the book.....

Instructions? We don't need no stinking instructions!

Mark you may be right, off the top of my head i don't recall the order in which i applied washer, rubber grommet, screw...ect i'll check that
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------