Thread: Largest DIA bit you've used?

Default Largest DIA bit you've used?

So I want to try cutting raised panels in hardwood on my PRS alpha. I have a freud 99-214 bit... But I'm a little scared to try it in my machine.

Has anyone used anything like this? Can you recommend feed rates and RPM's?

Yup. I use a 3" cove bit with a 1/2" shank to cut wheel wells in skateboards (hard maple). No problems.

But you MUST, get information regarding maximum RPM.. Finding the recommended chip load is also a real good idea.

I stalled out my PRS Alpha a few times and made some really burnt cuts trying to figure out proper feed speed.

Cool, thanks for the help. My students have made skateboards in the past... I don't have a good way to form the decks. But we manage to do well with what we have. If I had the right set up I'm sure it would take off in my class.

Jeff, I have a 2 1/2" diameter Amana planer bit that I use for surfacing my table, and flattening large boards. It cuts with ease and causes no apparent stresses on my PRT Alpha. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Quote Originally Posted by jdwykrent View Post
    Cool, thanks for the help. My students have made skateboards in the past... I don't have a good way to form the decks. But we manage to do well with what we have. If I had the right set up I'm sure it would take off in my class.
    I work extensively with Roarockit out of Toronto. Ted and Norah (owners) are a pair of cool dudes, and very easy to work with. http://www.roarockit.com/
    Can't say enough good things.

They sell 1/16" maple veneer and have designed an easy to use vacuum press.

Their primary customers are schools, kids can build boards in shop class, no vacuum pump required.

I highly suggest you look into it if you have any interest in building boards in class.

As for feeds and speeds, I run mine at 8000rpm and about 1ips. Cut depth of about .2"

I'll second the Roarockit review.

I don't make skateboards, and I have a vacuum pump veneering setup. But I still use one of their skateboard vacuum bag setups for small jobs - it's a gem (and CHEAP!!)

I've used a 3" spiral bit and barley twist...no problems. I use a router not a spindle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

"I don't have a good way to form the decks" At one of the Bot Camps a fellow brought in some skate board blanks he made. What he had done on the bot was make a male/female mold set, then he would make his own plywood by using veneer layers in the mold using a press to do the final forming. These were really very swoopy/doopey boards too, so I think the sky is the limit. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy