Thread: Projects... Many projects...

Default Projects... Many projects...

We have had our PRS Alpha 48 x 96 up and running for semester now. Amazing!

Here's the struggle... Students know what the machine is capable of, but lack the motivation to learn the software. Even though Vetric has some great videos I'm finding they just don't want to take the time to "absorb".

Question #1: How do you teach the basics? I do a simple plaque project with lettering and a border (V-carve and Profile / Pocket tool Paths).

My advanced classes have done some great work on the machine... they take the time to learn the software and setup. The struggle with them is all the different projects that they want to run.

Question #2: What is the best hold down method for a wide variety of projects from sheet goods (4x8) to small work from hardwood / softwood, metal, and plastic?

Question #3: Do you assign CNC projects with standards? If so what are they?

I know people on the form say that a CNC is just another tool in the shop, it is not.
    It does not make someone less of a craftsman if they can make amazing things with it, reason being one needs to be skilled at CNC work to do it. That said you need to teach your kids how to use the tool, and you need to teach it as a class not just a small part of another class if you want them to have success with it. After that they will take the lead on what they would like to do.

Question #1: How do you teach the basics? I do a simple plaque project with lettering and a border (V-carve and Profile / Pocket tool Paths).

In my intro class we do four to five project that teach some of the basics, they are:
    V-carving, pockets and profiles, male and female inlays, and plotter pen work. (see photos)

Question #3: Do you assign CNC projects with standards? If so what are they?

What standards do you are you talking about? State, ITEA, Common Core?

Question #2: What is the best hold down method for a wide variety of projects from sheet goods (4x8) to small work from hardwood / softwood, metal, and plastic?

Find about $1,000 and make a Fein vac table and make some drop on jigs for the small stuff. When you have a lot of kids running thing hold downs take up a lot of time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Default questions

I do a mirror project that they have a small area to design there area in there is pocket cutout on the back. They really like building the project it is put together pocket screws also.

Hold downs I use corner jigs and screws for hold downs mostly you have sacrifice board on the table use it for that. I have built jigs for production projects or large run projects like the mirror. But for one offs screws and wedges work the best for my classes.

I teach Middle School and High School classes. My Middle school classes they are assigned projects because of time restrains on what I have to cover and time available. My High School are not assigned one unless they dnt come up with on their own.