Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Camp Shopbot

Default Texas Camp Shopbot

The Texas Camp in Austin is coming up February 24 & 25 in Austin. There will presentations on using the Shopbot in furniture making, cabinetmaking, boatbuilding & sign making. Bruce Clark will do a walkthrough of the FreeDoors program and there will be presentations on material holding and ShopBot modifications. The camp will begin noon Friday with an informal session. Saturday the Camp will begin at 9AM and, besides the presentations, there will be the usual coffee and donuts, door prizes and lunch.

Please bring anything you would like for Show and Tell or bring some digital images of projects you would like to share. If you would like to make sure something is covered please email me and I will try to accomadate you.

My shop is in far Southwest Austin at 9000 Feather Hill Rd., Austin, TX 78737. There are plenty of hotels and motels around town but Extended Stay America (512-892-4272), Holiday Inn Express (512-285-3900), and the Heart of Texas Motel (512-892-0644) are all about 10 minutes from my shop. Extended Stay is about 4 years old and the Holiday Inn Express is about 2 years old while the Heart of Texas is an older motel. There are plenty of things to do in and around Austin and my shop is only about 30 minutes or less from anything you might want.

If you could let me know if you will be attending it would be helpful.

Wayne Locke

The Holiday Inn Express that I found near your place was:
    AUSTIN-SUNSET VALLEY
    Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
    4892 US HIGHWAY 290 WEST
    AUSTIN, TX 78735
    Hotel Front Desk: 1-512-8919500

Is this the correct Hotel. Thanks.

Yes.

Wayne

I am considering the purchase of a Shop Bot and would like to attend Saturday.

My sign studio is just up the road from you in Temple, Texas.

What is the charge and do I need to register in advance?

Raymond,
    There is no charge for any of the Shopbot Camps. Consider yourself registered.

Raymond, Hope you make it. I had the opportunity to take one of your seminars at the Columbus Ohio sign expo a few years back and your signwork is exemplary. Follow you on letterheads as well. I have to say a shopbot would be an excellent addition to your shop.It would definitely be worth your while to attend, you wouldn't be dissapointed.

Bill

fgonzalezm@apabsa.com Guest

HI from Monterrey Mexico

Me and my Father confirm assistence, its going to be interesting to see your works.

see you at the camp.

To All:

The camp is only a few days away. Here are the directions to my home/shop.

My address is 9000 Feather HIll Rd., Austin, TX 78737 and my telephone is 512-288-3472.

Directions are easily gotten from Google or Mapquest, but here are mine.

1. From Loop 1 (MoPac) take Hwy 290 W towards Johnson City.
    2. When the freeway ends in a few miles, stay on 290W and go to the seventh traffic light about 3 miles.
    3. At the seventh light, Southview Rd., turn left. There is a sign for the Waldorf School.
    4. The second street is Feather Hill Rd., turn right.
    5. I am at the fifth house on the right. The shop is in the back.

You can park along the street.

Friday's session will begin at about 10:30 and Saturday's session will begin at 9AM.

See you on Friday and/or Saturday.

Sincerely,
    Wayne Locke

Just got home from the Texas Camp. Wayne had a great turnout (35+ "campers") both days, and the presentations were varied, and well done.
    Don Chapman showed a number of different techniques to create signs of all sizes, and from different materials. He also explained different ways to finish ,and mount these signs...
    David and Dale Lemke gave a very interesting, and complete description of the process involved in designing, prototyping, and testing a completely new hull design for a fast (58 mph...)sport boat using "Prosurf 3"software.
    Bruce Clark explained the nuances of the "Freedoors'program, and also showed everyone how to use the new file converters in the latest versions of Shopbot's software, including the "GGI" interface.
    Our host, Wayne Locke showed some techniques for using the Shopbot to create forms for vacuum bagging and veneering, and he also showed us a work in progress where is building a huge, and beautiful conference table from an incredibly large, and beautiful hunk of Bubinga.
    Jo-Anne Gilliam gave a demo of making simple signage using Part Wizard 2 taking it from the design phase to the actual cutting of the sign.
    There were anumber of school teachers there from different districts who are using the 'Bot in their classes.
    People travelled from as far as Chicago, and Mexico to attend this year's Camp, and there was a LOT of in between session networking going on. There was no shortage of questions, and ideas, on either day.
    I've posted a few pictures on the Camp Shopbot Flickr site which is at:http://www.flickr.com/photos/campsho...n/photostream/
    Next Camp: Ada, Oklahoma-March 17/18th.Keep checking the Shopbot web page and Forum for upcoming Camps in your area...
    P.S. If anyone who attended the Texas Camp has other pictures, please send them to us at; campshopbot@shopbottools.com....Thanks !

This was my first Camp and it was a pleasure to rub elbows with some great craftsmen (and women). Even though I don't own a ShopBot, it was interesting to see how varied its application can be.

Thanks to Wayne for opening his shop to us and to all who shared information. It is easy to get a brain overload at these things, just thinking of all that you could do with a machine like this.

Also, I got to finally meet Don Chapman - no relation, but a great signman. We do share one thing in common - it's hard to stop us once we start talking.