Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing C4 etc with my own commands?

Default Replacing C4 etc with my own commands?

I run my spindle from it's controller. Is there any good reason not to utilize
    these for something useful? Thanks Gene

If you don't use any of the OEM customs, you can use them for anything you want. If you use the manual or auto toolchange functionality and related post processor, then you'll need to keep the pertinent customs to run that. There's usually a copy of the OEM custom files, but you can always make another.

Be sure to open and read what any custom file you're thinking of replacing does first so you don't overwrite any needed ones, like C90, C91, C92, and C99.
    Scott

Thank you Scott. I should have mentioned I am using 3.6__ so I don't
    have the customizable buttons that (I think) 3.8 offers. Gene

Gene, if I understood what you were asking correctly, you can add to or overwrite any of the custom cuts that are in your 'Cuts' menu. If you have never done this, key in CS and follow the instructions in the file that opens. This is able to be done in any version.

As far as buttons go, 3.6 does have the ability to add your own buttons to the tool bar by right clicking on the toolbar below the menu and choose customize. It takes a little to figure it out, but it works. The button program in 3.8 can be implemented in 3.6 if you install 3.8 on another computer and copy over the needed files. Here's a screenshot of my set of buttons that I use in 3.6 or 3.8.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

Talking

That is way cool, I am going on a 3 week road trip over xmas and will have
    time to catch up on my tutorials etc... and one of the things I wanted to
    learn more about is SB3. I tried loading 3.8 but my setup is too old. Thanks
    again Scott- if I can't figure out what you are saying I will know where to ask.
    Thanks Gene

Scott- I have been poking around in 3.6 and 3.8 and I can see there
    would be a lot of experimenting to get where you are. Is there any
    documentation available or... would you be so kind as to post your
    custom button file which I could modify to suit me? Thanks Gene

Sure Gene, let me see what I can work up or put together. Are you running Win XP or 7?
    Scott

Most of my 'puters are win7's but my control computer is still win XP.
    Thanks Gene

Here are the needed files for the button program that is in 3.8. Once in place, you should be able to start SB3 and the set of buttons I have should show up.

For Win 7...
    In the zip file are some folders. The one named Buttons-PD goes in 'C:\ProgramData\ShopBot'. Delete the 'Buttons' folder if present and rename this one to 'Buttons'. The 'Buttons-VT' folder goes in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\ShopBot\Virtual Tools'. Delete the 'Buttons' folder if present and rename this one to 'Buttons'. To make the program open when starting SB3, add the line in the VirtualTools ini text.txt file to the VirtualTools.ini file. Just open the files in notepad and copy/paste the text under the section 'Optional Controls' if it's not already there. If it is there, just change the second to last value to 1 instead of 0. This should give you the small button screen shown in the included jpg. To get to the setup screen shown in the jpg, close the buttons window and then go to Tools/Buttons and when clicking on it, hold the shift key. This should open the setup screen. If it doesn't, try again to hit it just right. When you have the setup screen open, you can see what settings are used for each button by clicking on the button and also the form settings. The settings shown in the jpg are the ones that I have found to work best. Don't set 'Auto Arrange' or you'll be chasing buttons around for days and won't catch them! Be sure to check the options in how SB starts if you need/want SB3 to work in different ways when executing a buttons command. All the files associated with my buttons will not exist on your computer so you'll have to change those. You can overwrite the location (copy the path from windows explorer address bar and then the file name) or you can just use 'Create Buttons' to make a new button and use an existing one to see the settings used and then choose to 'Remove selected button'. You can use the size/location fields or the button handles to arrange and size the buttons. Change the names as desired also. With the form set to 'Sizable', you can scale the size of the form also by dragging the window edges/corner. This should get you started on your way to making your own set of buttons.

For Win XP...
    The one difference is the Buttons-PD folder that goes in program data in Win 7, goes in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ShopBot' in XP. You may also need to install or update Microsofts .net framework if it's not already installed/updated.

If you're running version 3.6, you can add these files to it to make it work with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Scott

Talking

Thank you sir. You are very generous- this should be written up as a ShopBot
    document of some sort?

I don't have time to get into this today but I did anyway. Had a normal
    amount of trouble getting ,net framework to upgrade and got everything
    loaded but the program is looking for 'C:\ProgramData\ShopBot\Buttons\1.0.0.0\Forms.xml' which I think is the win7 location for that file and you
    had me put it in a different location for winXP. I will have to troubleshoot
    this when I get back from Vaca. Looks like far beyond what I was imagining
    when I asked about replacing some of the 'C' commands. Now I am *almost*
    sorry to be going to San Diego for a few weeks.

Thanks again... you are a gentleman and a scholar.