Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vac motors

Default Vac motors

I received my lighthouse vac motors - I did however order the 110 volt but they sent the 220 volt, no big deal but they only have 2 wires I will call them in the morning but wanted to ask if anyone else has wired up the 220 volt pumps how they handled it?
    Thanks
    Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Tim,
    The 220 are a lot more economical to run...simple wiring project...do you have room in your electrical panel for a double pole breaker??
    Dick
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

Quote Originally Posted by pappybaynes View Post
    Tim,
    The 220 are a lot more economical to run...simple wiring project...do you have room in your electrical panel for a double pole breaker??
    Dick
    Yes, but the part I am not sure of is with 2 wires and 2 hot leads I guess I run the common or ground to the body of the motor
    www.TLCW.us

the two wires each get a separate 110v lead from the 220v breaker in the panel. The metal housing of the motor gets the ground wire.

Todd

Is that safe? Just wondering.

Yes that is how they are wired

Just hooked mine up this morning 2 vac motors 8 zones 4 x 8 machine works great

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure

Thank You !!!
    www.TLCW.us

Default 220

I would suppose the new circuit would look just like an existing 220 breaker in the panel...

Could you just use the same existing breaker say for the stove or dryer ? Is the panel near the bot ?

I would think you would not be running the vac and those 220 items at the same time.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Quote Originally Posted by curtiss View Post
    I would suppose the new circuit would look just like an existing 220 breaker in the panel...

Could you just use the same existing breaker say for the stove or dryer ? Is the panel near the bot ?

I would think you would not be running the vac and those 220 items at the same time.
    Probably not but possibly. The breaker is sized for the load and the wire size. Your 2 Light House Vac motors if they are like mine draw 7.5 Amps at 220V so 7.5 x 2 is 15 Amps then I would add some so a minimum of 20Amps then depending on distance of the run minimum wire sire would be #12 now if you add your #12 to a drier breaker they are usually 30 amps your wire would likely burn in half before tripping the breaker so you would need to up size the wire to at least #10 for a 30 Amp breaker.

You would be better off with a dedicated circuit for the vacuum motors. It sounds like you maybe better off with a licensed electrician to advise you and possibly do the work for you. Remember many houses and building burn down due to faulty wiring so if you are not sure about what you are doing hire a pro.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC