Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D carving 1st shot

Default 3-d and the market

If you want to call it a market, 3-d is where my market is. I have seen some of your 2.5 d larger signs Joe and they are outstanding. I only have a buddy, so making the bigger ones can be a pain. Typically the biggest plaque that i make is 17 inches round. I am hi-jacking someone else's thread but if you want pictures here are a few of my latest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    I'm always up to helping with 2.5D carving but when it comes to 3d I'm not going over there. The only 3d I'm interested in is backgrounds. Smaller detailed work is both time consuming in carving and finishing. For that reason I don't show 3d to my customers for fear they may place an order.

Fellow like Gene C. doing volume 3d is another story. There are few of those guys posting. I wonder how many fellows are doing beautiful work like that? Wouldn't it be nice to have them posting on a regular basis.

Joe
    I agree. It is from the nice work posted here that inspires me to learn new things. I definately am learning on this practice piece...LOL I have a mountain of machine time left on it. But just run for as long as I can each day.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1296 View Post
    If you want to call it a market, 3-d is where my market is. I have seen some of your 2.5 d larger signs Joe and they are outstanding. I only have a buddy, so making the bigger ones can be a pain. Typically the biggest plaque that i make is 17 inches round. I am hi-jacking someone else's thread but if you want pictures here are a few of my latest.
    VERY Nice Plaques. No worries about the thread. Post pics. Great stuff

Default 3-d

thanks, but you know the old saying, even a blind squirrel..............

Today's Progress....Slow going.

Have to cut two 2'x3' 1" Thick Duna Board signs for a wholesale customer tomorrow. I put the plaque up out of the way on table since I knew I would have to keep coming back to it.

I have a hole drilled with 1/4" bit -1,-1 of X,Y zero right into table bed right now. Tomorrow I will do, say, maybe a M2 -48,-36. Then Z2. Place material on table, cut. When I'm done with that, do M2 +48,+36 then Z2. Change tool and rezero Z and restart. Will be interesting to see how many opps marks I am going to end up with when all is done? I already have some now....LOL

Dave

Default z action

I can only imagine how long it is taking to cut the Lords Supper. There is a lot of Z movement on it which adds a lot of time.

Rick,

Outstanding 3D work. Please keep posting for those who are interested in this kind of routing.

For the life of me I can't see how I'd ever make a living doing this kind of work. Most of my signs are, as you say, are larger and don't take very long to complete. Finishing has been one of my creative interests. However, all of it comes from creative design work. Without that it's all for naught.

With the exceptional 3D programs on the market many hobby, part time, fellows enjoy themselves playing around with these techniques. I applaud their efforts. Fun stuff to see and marvel over but at the end of the month the bills come due.

Joe

Came in this morning to control computer. I have been leaving the machine paused at night and restarting each morning on this test. This morning when I hit resume it wasn't talking to machine. Restart SB software, then it picked the control box back up, and I restarted from the last line#.