Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Jamming and Making Aweful Noises

Default Desktop Jamming and Making Aweful Noises

My desktop started jamming and making terrible noises in the X and Y tonight.
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2pra5d77ohl2/Shopbot

Any ideas what's wrong?

Kevin

I can only hear the movies rather than see for them some reason.

It's almost certainly going to be a screw/bolt come loose somewhere. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and check everything that can possible come undone.

On my PRS I make it a monthly thing to go over the whole machine checking for tightness of bolts and grub screws.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Kevin, Also can't even hear file here,so shooting in the dark. After checking like Adrian says, it may help to shut down and unplug and blow-out/clean all connections(especially USB's).
    Is it one file only, or any file plus manual moves?
    Maybe someone who can see/hear vid will chime in?
    Good luck,
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Videos showed z car going back and forth on gantry and moving very halting while motor grinding. It sounded like losing steps bad and is usually from misalignment of the wheels, except you have screw drive! Check for crud buildup or lack of lubricant and also make sure your motors and gears are properly secured and adjusted to their proper location.
    Did ANYTHING unusual happen while cutting prior to this starting?

Finally got it to play by downloading.

Connection between the stepper motor and the screw drive would be my suspect going by the way it's stopping.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

It's loosing steps for sure. Does it happen with move and jog speeds via the keypad? I'm assuming the video is at jog speed. What is that speed set to? With your keypad open, what is the value shown in the console? If it's 4.0, try 3.5 and see if it still happens.

It could be losing steps due to resistance, going to fast for the steppers, or USB data choke/interruptions.
    Scott

Guys, still can't get vid. Was it only X Moves/Multi axis moves. Did single axis Y moves do OK?
    Kevin, on my recent maintenance only loose bolts were X-rails AND 2 of my X-stepper mounting bolts, called Tech and got the "approved" method of tightening stepper bolts in#2 Just in case yours were loose.
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20639
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks for all the replies. I just got home and I will be troubleshooting and will answer all questions tonight. But you will notice though that I posted a close-up video of the left X screw shaft bearing. It appears to just be loosely inserted into the side plate. Is there supposed to be a cover over it? Also, as the screw turns, the bearing wobbles. Does this indicate that the X screw is bent? The Y axis also is jerky, but not so bad as X. Z seems OK.

Kevin

Kevin The bearing on the left side fits loose ,, try a move of 2 in per sec , the speed may be set to fast ,, look behind the Z car and make sure its clean ,, lube with a light oil all tracks
    ArtCam Pro 9
    VCarve Pro 8

Did ANYTHING unusual happen while cutting prior to this starting?
    The only odd thing was that about a week ago my pre-programmed keypad moves all went from jog speed to move speed. I did not take the time to troubleshoot that as it was merely annoying and I could work around it.

Does it happen with move and jog speeds via the keypad? I'm assuming the video is at jog speed. What is that speed set to? With your keypad open, what is the value shown in the console? If it's 4.0, try 3.5 and see if it still happens
    It did it only in jog speed. It was set at 3 when the keypad was activated.

I had to get some products out tonight, so I took a chance. It seems to be working fine for the moment. I got the parts cut and now I have to finish them, so I will have to further troubleshooting tomorrow. BTW, I can't find any loose bolts and all the motor connections are secure and the USB connector is fine.

Thanks again for your input.

Kevin