Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website Maintenance

Default Website Maintenance

Have you ever dialed a phone # which is answered, "This number is no longer active"?

When a website is launched it's necessary to keep it up to date. I've been looking at those posted on this forum and amazed at how many of them aren't working. It would be better to take them off the website list than have a dead end.

A good website is one of the most powerful advertising tools, at almost no cost, a person or business can have. I live off of mine and the older it gets the more effective it is.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Joe,
    Great point. My site is working, however its basic, boring and most all the pics are the type of work I was doing when I was living in DE. I now live in GA and have been steering the business a little different direction......thanks for reminding me of another thing to add to my to do list......

Dave

If you need help getting a website put up, people here will design a site for you for $5.00 (that's five bucks, not 500.!)

https://www.fiverr.com
    https://www.fiverr.com/categories/gr...ut=auto&page=1

Now if they do more they have graduated rates for all kinds of stuff not just website design, but for 5 bucks it's worth letting someone else who has expertise help you.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Kinda depends on what you really want, Jack. I'm redoing mine at the moment, but it uses a SQL server backend and has an admin section that allows editing everything about the site from any computer - add/remove/edit pages, shopping cart, etc.

If all you want is a basic brochure page, anyone can make one - most ISP's these days include basic site building tools.

Joe, you are absolutely right, I noticed i'd left the link in my signature on the forum, after i'd taken my site down - not good, but probably better than having the wrong phone number!
    Ron Sloan

Ron,
    One of the things i've come to realize is that if we wanted to we could learn all these various programs to help us from cad/cam, business programs, website stuff and all manner of other things but in the end we would be spending more time learning and at least for me i'd rather not spend what time i have left learning a program i might use seldomly

Although i agree we are generally do-it-yourself-ers and if you want something done (your) way, it's best to do it yourself!

However you need to realize there is always someone smarter then ((EVEN) you who could do it alot faster.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Years ago I had a high dollar website made for me and it was awful. So what was the problem? The photo's were too small, too much hype about curb appeal and how the sign would enhance their business. Those facts came home during an appointment at a medical clinic. The doctor was kind enough saying "Nice website but I don't have time to go through it". Then he added "Here's what I think we need". What an eye opener! After that slap in the face I headed back to work and took the website down.

Suggestion

Less copy is MORE.
    The "Introduction" page isn't necessary!
    Who you are isn't important untill the last page
    Clean is better than cluttered.
    Every website designer needs lots of input to do you a good job.

If you want to start blabbing, don't do it on the front page. Stick that on the back page. If you're selling Widgets, show em all the models. Make them look spectacular. It should be like a glantz at Miss America. It's the image the customer is after not the blabb. Imagine you being the customer who has know idea what you have or what they need.

Please check out the website on this forum. That's the best lesson I can think of. Some are excellent. You be the judge.

Joe

A lot depends on whether you want your website to be like a business card in that people know about it when you tell them about it or if you want it be found at the top of searches.

Many website designers are obsessed with Search Engine Optimisation when, for brochure type sites, it's just not that critical but they still insist on cramming in "important" phrases as often as possible on the front page of the site.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

While working on a website design it's best to review the most attractive, outstanding ones on the market. Never mind what they cost at this point. We're striving to present ourselves professionally. By keeping abreast of excellence you'll pick up lots of skills. I have a couple of excellent examples along with one that's not too good. First off let me say Shopbot is exceptional. They show us their CNC models in a clean strait forward way. The layout is smooth and clean with limited copy. Then there's www.artcam.com who sets the bar. Stunning! They also have the www.artcam.com/insignia. and it's the same high quality. The Aspire website looks home-made. Not up to the level of the artists using it. It's a shame they haven't presented a Window Wall or Display Page showing the beautiful carvings done by you guys. This could be done up front before the listings of service.

SEO:

Adrian brings up a good point. Anyone can include descriptions beneath photo's to accomplish this. On my website I've simply added the types of sign customers I service. That will do the trick. But lets not get too caught up with SEO's. It's impossible to out think Google.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Hi Joe.

Thanks for posting your opinion about website design, as with all your posts its an interesting read. If you are going to use our website as an example of what not to do you should at least include a link so people can see for themselves - http://www.vectric.com/

Our approach is to make it as easy as possible for an existing or potential customer to find the information they require, using a balance of text and images. Whether we have done a good job or not of this is ultimately judged by our success as a business and whether we have happy customers or not. I am glad to report that we seem to be doing OK in both areas.

However your right in that there are many things we could do to improve it and we'll continue to do so in the future, as we do with all areas of the business.

Merry Christmas,
    James Booth
    Vectric Ltd.

James,

Thanks for the reply and the inclusion of the website link.

One of the advantages of a changeable window wall is to feature beautiful crafted products made in real time with the software. All of us get a thrill seeing our work featured. While Vetric is classy and efficient software the website doesn't do it justice.

Best wishes to you and the family for a Happy Holiday.

Joe