Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical problem

Default Electrical problem

I have a 2004 PRT Alpha, and for a couple of years now, I've had issues with my router contacts working sporadically. Recently, I replaced both contactors and they worked for a few days then suddenly not at all. Then, after a period of time they will work for a little while and then quit again. The odd thing is, even when they are "not" working, I can hear and see them move and the router still will not come on. How can this be? I've talked to tech support a few times to no avail and I'm just kind of frustrated that I spent the money on new parts and it still won't work. My gut tells me it's probably something simple, but for a guy who is not real handy with a voltage meter, it is a big challenge to figure out. Do any of you guys have experience with this issue? On another note, I just finished upgrading my Z axis and it was very well worth the money!

If you have a volt meter, troubleshooting a contractor is fairly simple. You said that you could see the contactor operating properly. That means that the voltage to the coil is working as expected. I'm assuming that you're running A.C. voltage through the contactor's contacts to the router. On the input side of the contactor, you should be able to measure 120VAC (assuming that you're using a standard 120VAC router). One contact will be connected to the "hot" or phase side (usually a black wire, but sometimes a red wire if U.S. 240VAC is being split into two 120VAC lines) and the neutral, which should be a white wire. (In most areas, electrical code forbids running a neutral line through a relay or contactor in order to minimize the possibility of shock, so look around the control box to find where the white neutral wire enters the control box.) That voltage should always be present when your control box is turned on. (The exception would be if another contractor, switch or relay is wired in series with the contactor that is controlling that voltage.)

If you have voltage on the input side of the contactor, then turn off the control box and set the dial on the volt meter to continuity. Disconnect anything except the router that is attached to the output side of the contactor. Check the output side of the contactor with one lead of the meter on the black wire and one lead on the white neutral wire. You should have continuity between the black wire and the white wire. If the continuity test fails, then you have a break in the wires leading to or from the router, or perhaps a faulty switch on the router.

If the continuity test is successful, then turn on the power to the control box, activate the contactor and then check voltage between the black and white leads on the output side of the contactor. If there is no voltage, then either the contactor is wired incorrectly or the contacts are not making contact properly.

Good luck. If you still have problems, post some photos.

Have you ever changed out the brushes in your router?
    Mind ya, I'm not familiar with your machine. But my router plugs into a socketed cord on top of the machine. It's very easy to unplug the router and see if you have power at that socket when the contactor is closed.

It'd be very easy for me to imagine a break in the cord that leads to the router, as well. Especially on a machine that old and on wiring that moves constantly.
    It's also a very easy fix to replace that wiring.

When you say "contactors aren't working at all", do you mean they won't pull, or that they aren't supplying power out to your router?

I will try to post a pic of the contactors sometime soon. As for the router, it is perfectly fine, absolutely no problem with it whatsoever. It works fine when plugged into a regular receptacle. The power cord coming from the contactor to the router plug is also fine. The odd thing is, the contactors will sometimes pull but do not supply power. Sometimes they don't pull at all. Other times they work just fine, then suddenly stop working. I'm perplexed.

Here is a pic of the new contactors

Default A couple of thoughts...

Hey Kip,

Tell me what you mean by "PULL". The contactor is engaging, hence the
    coil is engaged...

I have to say that this contactor is very busy!

So I have a couple of thoughts...
    1. the contactor's contactor surfaces are already worn (which seems impossible to me)
    2. Some contactors have thermal cutouts in them that have to be sized for the loads... They will not make contact when they are hot because too much load has been placed across them -or- there is a high resistance
    path that makes these cutouts hot.

These would randomly cutout which is what you are reporting. There is so much going on with this contactor that there may be cutouts in the upper right piece of the contactor...

Just some thoughts...

Bob Condon

Well by "Pull" I mean "engage". No way they're worn, They have less than ten hours of actual use on them. It seems logical to me that the problem is not the contactors themselves, but rather some other issue related to their proper connectivity. I just lack the proper diagnostic skills needed to figure this out. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

do you know the make and model of the controller?
    Does it have OVERLOAD RELAYS in them?

The overload relay is a bimetalic strip that acts like a resettable fuse.

When it gets too hot, then the relay opens and shuts the load (aka. router)
    off.

The reason for high heat is the relay is improperly sized (too small for the load) or the tool is pulling to much current.

Where the controller is new, they may have just thrown in a default-sized
    relay which may be under-sized...The tripping of these relays would be somewhat random which you are seeing

Just a thought...

Kip,
    I have a PRS so I do not have a Schematic for a PRT.
    Do you have one? Also do you have something to check voltage with? A simple 2 wire tester you could check an electrical outlet with should work.
    Let me know and I will try and help
    Life is like a project you continue to work on until it's finished.
    Never start a project you don't intend to finish!

Default Built in heaters

These contactors have built in heaters which are essentially
    fuses or bimetalic strips so when they get too hot (undersized or device
    pulling too much power).

You need to select the appropriate heater and order the controller with that heater.

I think the heaters are tripping which is causing your randomness

THX

Bob Condon