Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LH Vacuum motors on side?

Default LH Vacuum motors on side?

Is there any reason I can not run the LH vacuum motors on their side?

I built Gary's BB but am not happy with my workmanship, so I need to rebuild it. That got me thinking that Gary's main thought was to separate the exhaust from the cooling to lessen heat and increase motor longevity. If I were to turn the motors on their side, the exhaust can go straight out the bottom, vacuum out the top and the cooling on the other side. A simple rectangular box with one board down the inside holding the motors is all it would require.

Regards
    Mark
    Regards
    Mark Owen
    Woodpecker Manufacturing

Never mind. Ward from LH responded that I could with no issues.

Regards
    Mark
    Regards
    Mark Owen
    Woodpecker Manufacturing

Mark,

Please let me know how this turns out, I have been on the fence on the vacuum needs since I do very little sheet goods. I have been watching the different posts about the LH motors, cost seems very reasonable and the box seems easy enough.

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Hi Mark,
    I'd be interested in your progress as we're just starting to design and build a modular vacuum table and will need to decide on a vac source. I come through Pickering occasionally.
    Shopbot Buddy BT48-12z alpha
    2', 4', 8' Powersticks
    Shopbot indexer
    Shopbot airdrill
    4hp HSD spindle
    Aspire 4.5

Joe, Gerald,
    Over the last year I have used everything to hold material down. I started using two sided tape. That got expensive and time consuming. I have screwed material down but after 3 or 4 or solid carbide bits got destroyed I knuckled under and bought the Raptor nail gun. This gun is awesome and works fine but you still need to use tabs.
    Based on everything posted on this forum, best bang for the buck hands down is Gary's BB design. I did look for a commercial blower but ended up buying the vacuum motors from LH. Total cost was US$579. This translates into almost C$800 after exchange rate, CC exchange fee, CDN taxes. Not cheap but still cheaper than any other option.
    For my Canadian brothers, we cannot get Trupan in Canada but Superlite MDF from New Zealand is available via Windsor Plywood and a place in Toronto that I cannot find right now. It is made with Radiata Pine, the same as Trupan. And at 32lbs is the same density.
    My error when building the box was to take the files provided and just cut them before understanding them. They require two sided machining (flip op). Plus when I tried to lift it off the table after installing the motors and electrics, I dropped it maybe 6 inches. However, that was enough to break the PB.
    I might just redo the files again. It would be the quickest way to be up and running. I have to question my choice to alter a proven design. Do I want to spend my time building a vacuum box or making things that might actually produce some revenue?

Regards
    Mark
    Regards
    Mark Owen
    Woodpecker Manufacturing

this is our mount

It slides out for easily removing debris. this is occasionally necessary as we use a table setup with holes in it.

Sean,
    That is a nice looking rig.

But I don't understand it. Can you post a few more pic angles?

Like the classic SB machine.

Dave

Sean,

Your design looks interesting, please post more pics of your setup. I really would like to keep it simple when I make mine and since I mostly do hardwood glue ups, the size would usually take less than 1/4 to 1/2 of a table so I will most likely only need 2 blowers and section my table x6 and only use 2 or 3 sections at a time. From your pic, it looks like you have it mounted on the back edge of the bot but that could be just my eyes deceiving me.

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Don't be too concerned with light weight mdf. I've bern using a dense cabinet grade of mdf and it works just fine. Just skim 30 thou off each face before you start.

Andrew,
    If I had your blower, I wouldn't worry about it either. However, I am building the frugal's man's version where every little bit helps.
    For you, Windsor Plywood is in Thunder Bay, the shipping wouldn't be too outrageous. You probably know some local Truckers that do that run and could pick some up for you.

Regards
    Mark
    Regards
    Mark Owen
    Woodpecker Manufacturing