Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop keeps stopping mid job

Default Desktop keeps stopping mid job

Hello, I have had a Desktop model for about a month and it has stopped 4 times on the same part at different spots in the tool path. Most of the time a pop up on the comp says that the tool isn't connected and offers to switch to preview mode. I called Shopbot tonight right as they were closing, we went over a bunch of things such as:

-Dust collection grounding problem: Can't be since it is cutting nothing and the vac has not been connected

-Turning off virus protection: did that on the last run

-Turning off all other programs: I only run the shopbot software while cutting

-Changing the USB port it plugs into: This is the 3rd port I have tried

I bought a new Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 only to run this machine. After getting off the phone I changed the USB, restarted the computer, turned off the virus software and ran the same program. It got relatively far for the piece and stopped cutting at about 3 minutes. This time the computer still thought the machine was running since the pop up didn't come up and the "Stop" button was still an option to click off.

I don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

check to see if the usb power management is set correctly

Kevin, Have you checked all the usual suspects? Is it connected to the Internet/screensaver/windows update/ANY UPDATES set to NEVER and power settings set to NEVER TURN OFF?
    Joe wrote a good one. Link in this thread.http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20757
    Have you read Steve W's thread and tried some of those?http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20757
    Lots of stuff out there in the forum or google search "let'stalkshopbot" about "lost comms"
    Hope this helps.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks, I will check those links. I know I have my comp set to not sleep for an hour untouched. But I will change all the settings to never turn and sleep since I only use this comp while the machine is cutting.

Don't forget to let us know what it was Kevin.
    Hope you're going soon
    scott P.
    Maine

I finally got around to testing it out again. Shopbot suggested putting the computer on a different circuit. I used the one with the best grounding. The Machine stopped in the same spot as last time! The screen said it couldn't locate the machine. It's starting to feel like I bought an expensive boat anchor.

I will read through more articles and try more possible solutions. I have cut the tool path a couple times before with no problems.

Kevin,
    The Winter can be brutal on machines due to high voltage static electricity. This can occur from the material being cut, but most likely from any kind of dust collection you have running. Are you running dust collection? What material are you cutting?

It is very important to have your dust collection system grounded for CNC duty using a bare copper wire. I have posted about this ad nauseam.

The other thing that is a major source of disconnects is the computer itself. Can you list brand/specs/OS? You should not have the ShopBot plugged into a USB 3.0 SS port. It should be 2.0.

Don't worry...it'll all work out.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    Kevin,
    The Winter can be brutal on machines due to high voltage static electricity. This can occur from the material being cut, but most likely from any kind of dust collection you have running. Are you running dust collection? What material are you cutting?

It is very important to have your dust collection system grounded for CNC duty using a bare copper wire. I have posted about this ad nauseam.

The other thing that is a major source of disconnects is the computer itself. Can you list brand/specs/OS? You should not have the ShopBot plugged into a USB 3.0 SS port. It should be 2.0.

Don't worry...it'll all work out.

-B
    Thanks Brady, I don't have the dust collection connected or running since it has not made a new cut yet. I am cutting wood. I bought a new Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 only to run this machine.

Kevin, Did you re-read Steve Wonsers post of the 11'th?
    Here is the link that helped him solve his problem.
    http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/11...sue-windows-7/

At that particular point in the file, check the position on the line code and manually move it to that position and closely check all wire connections to see if something is rubbing. On mine once, at a certain position the dust hose hit the upper Z prox wire and caused a disconnect, when I did my Z upgrade, I had too much slack in the same wire, and the cable chain brushed it at one point.
    One other thing to check, On Mine, when the Z-plate is pushed in ALL the way apparently there is a single spot where it grounds out and interrupts the cut(very intermittent and only happened 3 times), Cannot seem to isolate that single point and nothing is visible simple solution was to NOT slam it into the slot, but leave it out a 1/4" and it NEVER happens
    Think its most likely a computer issue, but just a couple things to check.
    Good luck,
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Good one...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com