Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Desktop keeps stopping mid job

Kevin,

No offense, but stop and think for a minute to make sure it is not operator error.

That has happened to me sometimes (operator error)

Dave

Don't get too frustrated Kevin. Everybody hates trying to isolate problems like these(especially me as I don't understand all of it and learning as I go). Recently had a loose HDMI plug on my monitor That took me several hours to isolate as it was intermittent and I was ready to throw something through the door!! Turned out that it only happened when my computer swing shelf was in ONE position AND the Desktop was doing rapids in X. Piece of duct tape and two purple rubber bands cured it But I must have gotten out of the wheelchair and climbed under the Crate 2 dozen times to rearrange wires,swap out mice/keyboards/blow out and inspect connections etc.
    One thing WAY back, was I had installed the desktop with the USB in 1 port, and when I moved the entire rig to the Crate, I plugged it into another port! Drove me Nutsos until I read that the Desktop doesn't LIKE that! So I checked my notes(start a log of EVERYTHING you change!!), found the original USB and "All Better"
    Good luck, You'll get it, and it'll be WORTH IT!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks for the support guys! I have a friend bringing another computer this week to lend me. I will treat the machine as if I just bought it and run through all the steps and see what happens.

Great - let us know how you make out. Also, don't forget about Craigslist...you can often find a really good deal on a used one. Just make sure you wipe it and remove all the junk before you put it into CNC duty...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

At this point I am convinced my machine has a serious problem.

I went back to the new software and had a couple of issues. First the Control box said EF instead of the speed. I turned it off and tried again ad the speed was showing. I ran the spindle at 100 for it's warm up. It stopped by itself at 12 min(I had a friend dropping off a new comp to test on, I normally stop it at 10 min) When I went to run it, it stopped after a minute cutting in the air with the spindle on.

I just ran it with the new computer setup by an IT friend of mine with all of the power down options turned off. Shopbot mentioned it might have EM interference, my dad works for an electronics company and brought me the proper items to stop EM Interference.

I got the new comp to do a full run in the air. After that I warmed up the spindle for 10 minutes. I zeroed it out again to cut. It moved about 2-4 inches when it stopped again.

I just e-mailed them but they will be closed for the weekend by now.

EF on that VFD = 'External Fault'. Please check the physical connection at the spindle and the orange cable. Unlatch it, pull it out, re-seat it and re-latch...with the power OFF.

I would inspect the wiring below the VFD to make sure nothing got nicked pulling it out of the crate etc. There is the big orange composite cable that goes up to the spindle from the VFD, a power cable that comes out of the bottom, in addition to a smaller wire that is the actual trigger for the spindle. Make sure this little wire isn't "hurt" in some way.

On the new computer, it is imperative that you install the firmware for the outboard controller via the UI command. Otherwise the machine will run unreliably or not at all. It MUST match the control software installed.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default Fixed!

Great news!!! Shopbot sent Chris to my house to inspect the machine. He couldn't find the actual issue, but he did agree it was not operating properly. He changed the entire circuit board setup and USB cable. After that we ran the machine all day with no problems!!!!

This is why I chose Shopbot, they are known for their customer service and went above and beyond for me!!!

Thank you to Ted, Chris, Jeremy and Frank at Shopbot!

Great news Kevin!!
    I keep telling people they're NOT JUST buying a machine when they go Shopbot
    A load off your mind I bet
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Great news Kevin!!
    I keep telling people they're NOT JUST buying a machine when they go Shopbot
    A load off your mind I bet
    scott
    You have no idea, I am going to stay very busy now

Quote Originally Posted by Zamm View Post
    Great news!!! Shopbot sent Chris to my house to inspect the machine. He couldn't find the actual issue, but he did agree it was not operating properly. He changed the entire circuit board setup and USB cable. After that we ran the machine all day with no problems!!!!

This is why I chose Shopbot, they are known for their customer service and went above and beyond for me!!!

Thank you to Ted, Chris, Jeremy and Frank at Shopbot!
    Shopbot kicks ass. Period.