Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 18lb sign foam vs 30lb precision board

Brad, in my notebook, I wrote that on 8/24/14, Sam rated Versatex best, then Azek is almost as good. Kleer is nowhere near as good. Celuka/Koma have a good hard exterior, but the interior is grainy. He noted Versatex has application videos that are helpful.

On 1/28/15, Brady said he likes Palram, then Komatex, Sintra then Ex-Cel. (He said Excel used to be bad, but is now very good.)

I personally don't know any of these brands, but since I had written this down (as I do have an upcoming need for PVC), I thought I would share this past information in answer to your question.

Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Chuck,

Good report but I have one question. Is all of this, or any of it, rated for exterior? It looks like we're comparing apples and oranges.

Most of the PVC in my area, which is 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" is interior grade. It's easily identified by the slight textured surface. A fingernail will easily make a mark. All the .75" or 1" is a completely different product and is exterior rated. The surface is very smooth, almost slick.

Joe

Joe,

Your description is perfect. I checked the sheets in my rack and the 2 sheets of 1/2" PVC had the slick hard finish, however the sheet of 1/2" I am cutting my newest pocket practice is exactly as you said, slight textured and easily marked.

I have no idea of the brands, but from now on when I call API Plastics (wish I could get full sheet deliver from Harbor Sales) from now on I will not rely on the "salesmen" over the phone for advise.

I have used 3mil Sintra for many years making cheap vinyl signs. But I am learning carving the thicker PVC has A LOT of potential.

Dave

The rule of thumb is glossy pvc = exterior. It will be very slick like Joe said. I've wanted to try the Ex-Cel stuff but I've always been afraid to. The difference in price between Komacel is not a lot, I think about $30 which works out to less than $1 per sq foot. I never could rationalize taking the risk. Komacel is a more well known and respected brand so that's who I've gone with.

I'm not sure where Joe gets glossy 1" PVC for $185, but that's a really good deal. Everyone around here is $225 +/-$10.

We took delivery on four sheets of .75" at $122.5@. The quoted price for 1" is now $212.00. For some reason my orders from Regal Plastics has a $10 order fee. Makes no sense!

I'll keep looking for 1" at less than $200 since our usual order is half dozen sheets every three weeks. The main issue is transportation. The prices listed above includes the delivery fee to my shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

Thats right Joe, regal charge you just to process your order and do an invoice, it was only 7 bucks when I quit ordering from them, ah inflation
    Gary
    Beckwith Decor Products
    Caveco Distributor, USA
    Custom CNC Tooling/Onsrud Distributor

I am using komatex white pvc price is not bad 0,5/.75/1 is $72/$121/$169
    I can cut PVC .5 in one pass @ 250 inch/min
    Paints without any primer as long as you wipe it with xylene.
    All of my letters made out of pvc.
    And if you need ant wood grain pvc home depot have .5 4x8 for $75

Alex,

I really like those letters. Clean and neat. I'd bet you'll never go back to HDU for these. We're getting more converts all the time.

Do you think the Komatex you listed is exterior rated. From the price it may be the less dense material.

Joe

This past summer I was driving by our volunteer fire department and noticed their sign was in really bad shape. Went home and set up a quick file and cut the letters out of komatex and did a shallow pocket in some white took me about an hour to complete every thing took it to the station and it took me longer to hang it than to make it. I had maybe 4 hours total in it. Material was left over stuff and my time was donated they really are pleased I also cut some smaller letters that I donated to the boy scouts for a project the they were doing for the department. Got a mention in the local paper about this.

Jerry,

The technical end of this job looks very good but you gotta do a little more work on your layout skills. You're better than that.

Joe