Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 18lb sign foam vs 30lb precision board

Had to match the old sign according to the zoning inspector

And better still, Jerry's sign didn't cost the taxpayers a dime! Thanks Jerry! Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Yow right! Just what I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Alex,

I really like those letters. Clean and neat. I'd bet you'll never go back to HDU for these. We're getting more converts all the time.

Do you think the Komatex you listed is exterior rated. From the price it may be the less dense material.

Joe
    I only making signs for 5 years. No structural failure so far. Two paint failures all with large wood signs. I warranty all my signs for life (structural not paint) if they made from hdu pvc or extira .
    Here some information from manufacturer.
    http://www.kommerlingusa.com/outdoor_PVC_usage.cfml

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Naumenko View Post
    I only making signs for 5 years. No structural failure so far. Two paint failures all with large wood signs. I warranty all my signs for life (structural not paint) if they made from hdu pvc or extira .
    Alex,
    You give a warranty? Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I have never offered a warranty. Been in sign business for myself since 1999. Worked for a Fastsigns franchise for 7 years before that. Started in this business when I was 15 years old and loved it. I learned from there. No college, just a HS education.

What I do is let the customer know the expected life of the signage they are requesting. Doesn't matter if its a cheap vinyl cut sign, or a $10,000 Peachtree City Foamcraft monument based entrance sign that I install with V-carved Gold leaf lettering and all.

Vehicle Wraps, same thing. I never over sell the customer, and never offer a warranty. However I always stand behind my work, and rarely have any complains.

The word "warranty" to me is a car salesmen trick.

No offense to you Alex, or any car salesmen out there.

Dave

Interesting topic fellows.

Everyone has to come to their resolve with this one. My customers often wonder about the life of their sign. I suggest about ten years but that has a lot to do with the direction the sign will be facing.

On natural wood finished signs, usually rough cedar, my estimate is about five years. Everyone is willing to have me out for a face-lift. I never charge and it only takes a few minutes. Keep in mind these are expensive pieces and I want them to last as much as the customer.

I know nothing about vinyl. Since HDU is off limits at my shop and I've had lots of total failures, I'll not comment.

PVC warranty? At my age I've giving a lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Naumenko View Post
    Thank you Alex- good reading. Gene

Alex.

It could be the reason for the reduced price you are getting has to do with the product not be rated for exterior use. As stated before, when the PVC surface is very slick and smooth it's an indication of the HD products. I could be wrong on the material you are using and I sure would like to save $40. a sheet.

"KOMATEX will expand and contract depending on fluctuations in temperature. The use of dark paint or the standard colors other than white is not recommended for outdoor applications. Dark colors have a tendency to absorb more heat, thus increasing the potential for damage."

Most of my signs have colors. Not sure about this product. Keep us informed if you have any problems. I'm a hawk when it comes to product quality.

I do use warranty as extra selling point. There is a lot of people in my area who using cheap or not appropriate materials for signs and printed graphics. Then I asked one of them he stated "you do want to have repeat work are you?"
    I warranty all printed products accept banners for one year against cracking of laminate or peeling. Dimensional sign warranty is only for structural. For example: warping of the material , splitting or cracking would be fixed or replaced. Paint is not covered. As I stated I am building signs for 5 years but I have 20 years of custom fabrication experience. So far I did't have any warranty claims and all my signs look same as the day I installed them.
    And last but not least people don't really care about warranty all the care about
    is the price.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Alex.

It could be the reason for the reduced price you are getting has to do with the product not be rated for exterior use. As stated before, when the PVC surface is very slick and smooth it's an indication of the HD products. I could be wrong on the material you are using and I sure would like to save $40. a sheet.

"KOMATEX will expand and contract depending on fluctuations in temperature. The use of dark paint or the standard colors other than white is not recommended for outdoor applications. Dark colors have a tendency to absorb more heat, thus increasing the potential for damage."

Most of my signs have colors. Not sure about this product. Keep us informed if you have any problems. I'm a hawk when it comes to product quality.
    I mainly using PVC for letters and small (under 6 sq/ft) signs. Most of them painted dark colors. So far so good.