Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Router

Default Dead Router

I was changing bits on my SB Buddy and while setting the z-axis I crashed. After setting the z appropriately the second time. The router would not start. I plugged the router through an extension chord into the wall and it would not start. Before I buy a new one tonight, just to be sure, Is it dead? It wasn't makng an strange noises or slowing down prior to stopping.

I would at least bypass the switch and check the brushes before just ordering a replacement unless you want to have a spare in the shop. Bob

Hi Bob
    Yes I took out the brushes and they seem fine to me--see photos below. Maybe I'm wrong. Both have a consistent concave profile on one side, all other sides of the rectangle are flat. Some wear. Does this seem like they need to be replaced to you?

Thanks
    Angelo

photo 1(3).JPG
    photo 2(3).JPG

Angelo…
    Their getting “short in the tooth” Length is really immaterial, is the spring able to move it tightly against the commutator? Here's what a new one looks like...
    SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,

Yes, in comparison to the one in your photo, mine are much shorter. Mine are about 1/2" from front to back, where I see yours are about twice as much--Thanks for the grid! Now that you mentioned this, I could barely reach the brush spring with my needle nose pliers when I was taking the brushes out--but it is hard to tell if the spring is enough to create contact.

So my question is if the brushes are not making contact, would this cause the router not to start at all?

Much appreciated,
    Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by angelosart View Post
    So my question is if the brushes are not making contact, would this cause the router not to start at all?
    Yes. This would cause the router to not start. No brushes = no path for electricity. This includes BOTH high voltage (120v AC) and low voltage (5vdc TTL from Zzero plate). You'd probably be able to get away with not using the ground clip after you replace the brushes for C2...for a few months until they wear again.

Brushes are cheap. Order a spare set. You can't make money if you are down. Pay it forward.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

make sure to clean router head of dust maybe give you a few hrs more to run with worn brushes...if brushes worn down to no contact or minimal you can hear that issue see that issue...router rpm fluctuates and you can see sparking between brushes and armature...
    Vector Studio 22

Thanks guys, very helpful.

All great advice however I wouldn't rule out having a spare in the box for just this reason. If you are making money, then being down while waiting on parts or you go to buy a new router and the stores are all closed then you could be losing money. I always have a spare or 2 but with a spindle I am really at risk as I can't afford to have one of those just sitting around. Just my own opinion.
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

I had my router stop because dust built up in the on/off switch. Try blowing that out with an air gun.

I'll also echo the recommendation for spare brushes and a spare router.

Paul Z