Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3D Scan Case Study - Imagine Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    The most time consuming parts are the joints and I think if the components are done accurately and a good scan done, then all I would really have to do is final sanding after machining and assembly.

That is what I'd like to discuss at the camp with you.
    It is an absolute time saver. Once you create your master components and have them scanned, you have a digital archive of your parts that can not only be used for CNC production, but as a basis for other parts with the same motif. Furthermore, it is also possible to use the digitized data as a basis for creating a parametric solid of the original to stretch or scale it dynamically. There's some work involved with this on the customer's end, but it is certainly doable.

This is a classic master/apprentice scenario. You = the master; CNC = apprentice. CNC roughs it out and finish machines it, you add your masterful touch to finish off the piece with character. This eliminates the 'plastic' look of cheap import pieces and preserves the 'music' that you breathed into the piece.

If you want, bring some parts with you & I can take them back with me. That'll at least save you some shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Mainly looking for "Unique" that nobody else can offer in "Niche" Markets...
    You nailed it, Scott. While there is a time & place for clip art, it doesn't separate you from any other Joe with a CNC router. When you take something that you whittled, carved or sculpted by hand - it is 100% yours. Completely unique. Being able to replicate your original expression via digital fabrication is how you make money & a name for yourself. The possibilities are practically limitless.

Missed your 2nd post while typing....Yes, everything you show I have either scanned that type of thing or can. The crystal will have to be coated in order to prevent light penetration & depth inconsistencies...but it's all doable.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

And more
    Ignore If you're busy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Oh, was wondering about Ethics on 100+ yr old artistic , unique stuff?
    AND, thing like my GGGpa's shotgun?
    scott P.
    Maine

Oops, Stomping
    GOOD on crystal as many mines have closed down and all are collector pieces now. MANY just like the unique crystalline structure they will NEVER see again(ie Elmwood,TN Golden Calcite , "Fishtail".
    If it can do that, then Andrew's gorgeous custom arms, legs and Maloof's should be doable.
    Thanks! Ignorant on this stuff, and very nice to know for the future
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Yes - all those things you show can be scanned.

Ethics - I will not scan anything that has patented or copyrighted marks stamped on it, without permission from the proper owner. Customers have been pretty good about this over the years and were able to obtain proper documentation/permission from the owner for digital replication. The same ethics apply to iconic things like Coke bottles etc. We all know right from wrong, as well as what constitutes fair use and what is stealing.

Most things that are sufficiently old, aka antique, are safe to scan, although you should check to make sure that it is no longer patent/copyright enforceable. Wooden rifle and gun stocks of that vintage are pretty much fair game, since most customers want to make modifications to the original anyway & the only specific data is where the receiver & guts go.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady
    scott P.
    Maine