Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Scan Case Study - Imagine Factory

Thanks Dan. There is more to come, I just have to chunk it all down into manageable bits to tell the story.

I don't really have files to sell per se because all data belongs to my customers. They send me their hand crafted model, it gets scanned, data sent & model shipped back.

Early on, before there was 3D clipart, I thought about scanning & selling files like you see on so many sites today. However, you can't just go around scanning things or copying an artist's work without permission, for financial gain or otherwise. Pesky things like scruples and ethics enter into the equation.

So...needless to say, the scan data belongs to the customer. They breathed their life into the carving or sculpture...I simply translate it. I have done some scanning for museums & 'institutions' - so this is a possibility.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brady That's cool looks amazing .Its great that you found a niche how do do they find you ? Its not every day someone says lets get a scan i guess you have to cover a lot of ground

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Brady That's cool looks amazing .Its great that you found a niche how do do they find you ? Its not every day someone says lets get a scan i guess you have to cover a lot of ground
    I do cover a lot of ground, although I try to stick to the interesting/weird stuff. I'll let the engineering firms scan the bridges and camshafts. I like the artistic stuff. I've done scans for customers from Alaska to Ireland. Gotta love being able to ship things pretty much anywhere these days!

Yes it is every day that someone says, "Let's get it scanned" - This is what I do for a living...

I have a lot of repeat customers that keep the ball rolling, but many of you have referred me to new customers - so a big "Thank You!" to you guys for that.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Can you scan any material? Wood. MDF etc? Does the surface need to be a painted finish or does it not matter?

Yes. Any material - Wood, metal, plastic, organic materials, etc.

Most things do not need to be coated, but if the part can be painted a light homogenous color it results in a better scan. Because light reacts differently on light surfaces than dark surfaces, parts that are zebra-striped with high contrast color differences can be tricky...but there are ways around this. Glossy, reflective, clear and diffuse (black rubber) parts need to be at least dusted with something to get a good surface to scan. This is the nature of non-contact optical scanning.

-B

Just curious Brady, HAD considered sending a Circa '60's "Piece O' Eight" Coin replica to you for scanning 1 side for a button. Some Verdigris, some shiny after all these years of handling. How does something like that scan?
    Like I said JUST curious.
    (shame Aspire is beyond us this moment---Good opportunity to properly age some eggs and tomatoes for your presentation----NOBODY would mob and beat to a pulp a Gimp in a wheelchair wearing GLASSES!! Would they? )
    Good thing you're 250 miles away!!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Actually, coins scan quite well in high definition. Something you just can't do on a consumer type scanner. Can you see the engraver's mark at the bottom? This is a screenshot of the actual 3D data - not a photo texture dog & pony show like you see in so many consumer scanner advertisements.

You don't need Aspire to machine your button. As part of your ShopBot purchase you received PartWorks3D, which is essentially Cut3D. This can take in a 3D mesh (STL, OBJ, DXF, 3DS etc) and from there you can scale it, create roughing, finishing and profile toolpaths to machine your part.

Yes, Aspire is a wonderful program for doing 3D work, but ownership isn't necessary to machine scanned parts. Also, I can make derivative works or modifications to your original model for you as an added service & give you the original & modified 3D file that you can use in PW3D. Later on if you do upgrade to Aspire, the same data can be imported and used to your heart's content.

You don't need to invest in an expensive scanner & learn it's frustrating limitations...You don't need to invest in expensive CAD/CAM and climb the steep learning curve...You send the part, it gets scanned, you take the file & concentrate on what you do best in your business.

Time is money...how much time/money are you or would you be spending floundering & trying to 'save' money by doing it yourself? That's an important question worth pondering, unless you believe your time is worth nothing.

-B

I'd like to make up components for one of my chairs (one arm, one back and front leg, one spindle/slat and possibly the seat) and get them scanned so I can fool with machining completely the components on my Buddy.

My idea is to take a chair that takes me between 30 and 40 hours per unit, and take that down to perhaps 2 days (say 12 to 15 hours) of hand time - effectively using the CNC to machine components that I would normally band saw and hand shape on my edge and drum sanders, and with hand tools.

I already eliminate several hours by carving seats on my router. I know I can do 2 sided machining to do other parts that normally take me a lot of time. But I haven't the time to spend probing. And my Aspire skills are not up to that level.

The most time consuming parts are the joints and I think if the components are done accurately and a good scan done, then all I would really have to do is final sanding after machining and assembly.

That is what I'd like to discuss at the camp with you.

Thanks Brady, (Obiwan or Yoda are optional)
    Yes it would be PW3D as we have 2 machines to upgrade.
    Good to know about coins, and that options are available to preserve detail when Z is changed independently to avoid "Flattening".
    "Time is Money" very good point! But irrelevant in my case as I get paid nothing and incapable of doing this stuff now anyways
    Mainly looking for "Unique" that nobody else can offer in "Niche" Markets, by paying $26 for a VectorArt3D file.
    scott P.
    Maine

Brady,
    Not quite sure of where "State of the Art" IS!
    Can you define scanning problems of common household items, the way I do "wheelchair accessibility" problems? i.e. "No problem" "let me think about it--Do-able", "No ******G Way" ?
    Especially thinking the Antique Firearms people who are asked to make a New Stock for one that their grandmother snapped on a staircase in a "Pique" like my G,G,Grandfathers Parker that was redone in Walnut in the '40's and cost Beaucoup bucks to redo as Depression was coming to an end and made my Dad go hungry!
    5'th axis work---Do you get much like this?
    Sorry for being a pain, NOT a $$$ customer. Just trying to grasp current day tech.
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine