Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: simple newel posts

Default simple newel posts

I do a fair amount of rails and related millwork. Traditionally when a customer wanted square posts, I would make them up as a frame and panel door, with the shaper. Time consuming and subject to movement seasonally, etc.

I noticed that several suppliers of these now make them machined from solid. So when a small railing job came up I decided to try the same technique I used in the past for built up table legs.

I laminated a slab of 8/4 hard maple, and then made a file to cut 5 individual panels from each. I used a profile bit (beading) and a ball end mill to give the bead and cove profile, then an end mill to undercut the face before V carving the faux panels.

It worked out well, as then I just ripped up the individual panels from the larger panel and mitred the edges on the table saw, and glued them together.

Today I filled the corners with 3/4 blocks and started sanding them. I also made up some 3D carved top caps. Should look pretty decent when finished. They will be stained a dark cherry red.

The panels took me minutes to laminate - set up on the router and held with the vac, and cut out in about 20 minutes per panel of 5. After gluing the posts and half post up I did the file for the caps and they took 50 minutes to carve (rough with 1/2" end mill and finish with 1/4" ball end mill).

Total time is much less than the old way which is more than a full day job for three posts. I estimate these three will take approx less than half that including machine time, which I use to do other jobs.

Those look great and save time also, a two-fear!
    Jim

96 x 60 PRSalpha, 5HP Colombo spindle, Custom indexer, Custom vacuum table, Custom Fire Extinguishing System

Thanks for posting pics Andrew.
    Love to follow your projects as you document them so well
    Congrats on the write up!
    Is that a Watco/Deft oil stain again this time? (never use their colors, but should get familiar with them )
    Recently posted some of your threads on Vectric forum(your Mahogany table/chairs and the Gorgeous Maloof Rocker), because when I said a week before lacquering after oiling, he told me I was crazy(with a smile). Wanted to show him "Top Notch Craftsmanship" takes as long as it takes
    Great work again!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

They look great. Gotta love saving time!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

They look nice.
    How do you post your pictures in the text area?
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stapleton View Post
    How do you post your pictures in the text area?
    In order to post pics inline with text, they have to be hosted somewhere like PhotoBucket et al.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Thanks for posting pics Andrew.
    Love to follow your projects as you document them so well
    Congrats on the write up!
    Is that a Watco/Deft oil stain again this time? (never use their colors, but should get familiar with them )
    Recently posted some of your threads on Vectric forum(your Mahogany table/chairs and the Gorgeous Maloof Rocker), because when I said a week before lacquering after oiling, he told me I was crazy(with a smile). Wanted to show him "Top Notch Craftsmanship" takes as long as it takes
    Great work again!
    scott
    Not this time. Im using a glaze-type stain that can be left on as a film (which dries). It's a commercial product designed to be used with post-catalyzed lacquer. I can get a very rich, deep colour unlike oil which is left up to the mercy of what the wood absorbs.

Ill post pics when its done. I should have the railing assembled next week and in the finishing stages. The people are itching to get this done. Its a job I priced out and got two months ago. Im very behind in the shop right now. I have work booked up for probably 6 months... And people say no one wants custom woodwork any more...lol

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    In order to post pics inline with text, they have to be hosted somewhere like PhotoBucket et al.

-B
    Ive been using photobucket since around 2000 I think. Always worked well for me.

Beautiful work, as usual, Andrew. I love seeing what you're up to!

Thanks for the info.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0