Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardened Rails on PRT Alpha X and Y

If someone would like to go for re-grinding their rails with an angle grinder then they are best off making a jig for the grinder so that it runs consistantly. There is a "do-it yourself" build a cnc forum that tells how to do this. I have not done this but have heard that it works well. www.mechmate.com

When buying the "complete upgrade kit" from SB you get a lot more than just the hardened rails. There is a lot of precision drilling/countersinking, and tapping required on the pillow block to do it right. I upgraded my prt rails, y rails first (which was pretty easy to adapt right onto the existing angled rail but touchy to adjust perfect), and then x rails when I upgraded the gantry as well. I did it as diy project by starting with an extrusion and then a 1/2 thick pillow block with the hardened rails mounted to it. It was quite a bit of work, although for me it was a pleasant "tinker" project break from the normal cabinet work.

How many hours do you estimate that you ran before you had to change the rails? I'm curious since we have two shopbots and two more on the way, I would like to know if we should be keeping this kits in house?

The changing and/or re-grinding refers to the mild steel rails used on older PRT's. I haven't heard of anyone needing to replace the hardened rails used on PRS models due to ordinary wear.

Jeff,
    ALL PRS machines came with hardened rails standard. A lucky few somewhere in the middle of production got hardened stainless rails

This isn't something you'll need to worry about.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

OK, here are a couple more pictures of the gantry per request. It's been running great, much smoother and the cuts are cleaner. After 20 or 30 more sheets I'm going to go through and check everything, re-torque etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just got the Kent CNC dust foot recently and miss the router bit being in front (been using the SB dust foot for years). I am gonna flip my Z 180 degrees when I take it apart for the rail upgrade. I learn more from looking at pictures.

Thanks,
    Dave