Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch Display Box

How did I know this was going to be more than just a simple little box coming from you? Ha ha ha! Amazing! Can't wait to see it as it morphs into the final offering! Thanks for sharing!

Mike

This project started indeed out with the intent of making a simple glass lid box. But when we looked at some Internet images as inspiration we ran into the watch winders and that sparked the idea. So I ordered a timer and a special watch winder motor (spare part) and designed the gadget around that. I also found there are companies selling domed round glass lenses as replacement for wall clocks and bought a 10" diameter one.

I have been through 8 or 10 different iterations on the CAD system and cut a sample set of gears to dial in the proper machining allowance but the complete set of parts is indeed the first iteration. It is definitely not a beginners project and needs a very precise machine because the gear and roller surfaces must be cut with accuracy better than 1/1000" (the total slack/interference in the gear set is 8 times the surface machining tolerance). My machine can barely do that and only when running at 1 in/sec and 1/10" cut depth in two spiral passes. For the final cut I run -1/1000" machining allowance, i.e. a tiny bit undersize. So far it works really well, but I am a bit concerned what may happen when we get a few really humid days. The bamboo is quite stable but it is no metal, after all.

I am planning to make an "invisible hinge" for the lid and hope I am not going to screw up what I did so far.

I watched the video and was even more impressed to see it working! Can you share the link to the domed lenses? I'm doing a number of clocks these days and that would be handy! Didn't know they came that big!

Mike

You can try Peco GLass in Smithville Texas - for domed glass up to 12" diameter....

I can not vouch for these people. The lady I spoke to over there (years ago now) was a real grouch.... I am sure that it was just that I caught her at a bad moment or something.... I was buying a curved glass for a bow front china cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeacg View Post
    ........ Can you share the link to the domed lenses? I'm doing a number of clocks these days and that would be handy! Didn't know they came that big! Mike
    IIRC bought it there: http://timesavers.com/c-325663-clock...or-bezels.html. They have up to 18 inches diameter convex.

But if you google for "clock glass" you get a bunch of companies who sell that.

Got some more work done tonight: I assembled the stand and cut the grooves for the "invisible hinge". The latter makes me a bit nervous. I have dabbled with that but so far not made a complete functioning version. Oh well, if I screw it up I have more Bamboo plywood to try again. The stand will contain the timer, the gear motor and a 5V cellphone power supply.

In the spirit of full disclosure....yes I did screw up the "invisible hinge". I left too little wall of the surrounding material and it broke apart in assembly. The good news is that I agreed with myself that it would be O.K. to fix with generous application of CA glue for this piece and my son (the customer) agreed as well. I think invisibility is highly over-rated. I am not Harry Potter, after all. And I learned a lot for the next project.

Thanks for the glass ideas! Sorry to hear about the hinge failure but it is still very nice! I am fascinated by the color/texture of the bamboo when you cut it. Might have to play with some slices as a veneer on a project... Thanks for all the pictures!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeacg View Post
    ....I am fascinated by the color/texture of the bamboo when you cut it. Might have to play with some slices as a veneer on a project...
    Bamboo is surely one of my favorite materials. Super nice to cut on the CNC (and with other power tools as well), very hard and dimensionally stable. Not available everywhere and unfortunately quite expensive as plywood (~$220 per 4x8-3/4 sheet in retail quantity). The color of the natural variety is somewhat bland. You can get also heat treated bamboo from caramel to espresso color that is prettier but the darker it is the more it loses mechanical strength. May still be O.K. for most furniture, though.

If you want to make an end grain veneer like a butcher block, you can get single ply sheets, which are basically just bamboo strips stacked and glued vertically or horizontally.

Outstanding G.

Something I'm sure your son will be proud to display his watches with!
    Ron Sloan