Thread: Laser question?

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Default Laser question?

How big of a laser is needed to etch aluminum? Can this size laser be added to a router table easily?

Thanks Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Michael. I have been looking at lasers for the last few months and have been educated as to what they can and cannot do. I realize that you most likely aren't looking at new ones. Just look at Epilog lasers, American made, and you can see what is out on the market. A everyday laser CO2 laser, will not etch any metal that does not have a coating on it. They make special lasers for just that. Wood and metal are required to have different tubes that give off different wave lengths. Be aware these lasers are not cheap by any means. There is a lot of information out there so just take your time at what you would buy. I wouldn't recommend an "open" laser since a laser will without one knowing it, blind a person within seconds if it is reflected in a person's eye. Just do your homework.

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

After doing some reading I am thinking about using a diamond drag tool. Looking at them it looks like something I could make pretty easily how much pressure do the springs have on these drag bits?

It looks like they are using diamond dressers used for dressing grinding wheels I have a couple I have never used. Making a body to hold the bit is an easy lathe job. Heck the bits only run about $8 on several tool sites.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

This is my diamond drag bit on granite, its spring loaded (has 2 springs at different pressures)

I usually use the light spring at 1/8" pressure and about 1.5IPS

I've put many hours on the bit, was told by widget works that as long as you do not hatch with 0 step over it should last a long time, otherwise he said with in a couple hours you can wear it out.

They said glass and granite wear it out fastest, aluminum however does not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7vw33lhholm2v5/Granite.MOV

https://www.dropbox.com/s/db33lnu5b1...%2029%20PM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1eogoqkuw...%2006%20AM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    How big of a laser is needed to etch aluminum? Can this size laser be added to a router table easily?

Thanks Mike
    To be able to use a laser of this magnitude proper guarding techniques must be used to turn a class 4 laser into a class 1 laser. If you get a bad bounce from the laser beam kiss your eye sight good bye.

Michael - I have a 40 watt Universal mounted in the vertical on my Bot on the second Z. A while back I did laser etch into some metal...and I don't believe it had any coating on it. It's back at the shop and at some near future point I can take a pic and post it. I don't believe alum will etch though...which I remember trying and not working. My laser does not have any guards but I am not normally etching into metal anyways. FYI - my machine is for sale if interested. Thanks - Tom