Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: contact cement

Never used water base. The solvent based sprays great with a decent gun.
    We mostly use the red, because it's much easier to see. We usually only use clear for paper backed veneers, where the red would show at the edges.

I occasionally use water-based contact cement. I use 3M Fastbond 30, and apply it with a short-nap roller.
    It works well, but takes a really long time to set if the temperature is below about 50 degrees.
    Rick

Late to the party but Ill add my 2 cents..

I used to brush and roll contact... takes too long and hard to get a very even coat.

Tried spraying using a small pressure pot - very messy as the overspray was horrible, and cleaning the gun was also time consuming.

I have been using the prefilled canisters (the size of a 20 lb propane cylinder) for about ten years now. No way id ever go back.

They are always ready to spray - no need to clean anything, I just use an old toothbrush and some thinner to give the tip of the nozzle a quick cleaning so its ready to go next use. There is always glue in the hose and pressurized, ready to use (just lock out the trigger when not in use).

Once the hose and gun are bought, the tanks are not too bad cost wise and the convenience out weighs for me the old way.

I can spray in the shop where ever I am working with just a bit of cardboard to catch the stuff that sprays off the edge. Nothing gets airborne, no mess.

I agree with Andrew.. I use PB925 red, great stuff. Works at temperature extremes, hot or cold. Unbelievable bite. Durable, long lasting hold on a variety of materials. Ready for shop or field use anytime.

A little goes a long ways with this stuff. It might look like about 6-7 gallons in that tank but it lasts well beyond many 5 gallon pails the way we use it here anyways.

Those are the tanks that we used. Our supplier some times run a deal buy three tanks and they throw in the gun and hose.

Great information! I had never seen the spray adhesive that Andrew referenced. I found this on the net, at least showing what this product is. Chuck

http://www.industrialprotectivefilms...uk%20PB925.pdf
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

What is the primary purpose for having this much adhesive on hand? Are you guys laminating or veneering on a regular basis? I assumed that most shops today used off the shelf laminations or pre-veneered sheets.
    I have used CC in the past to do small veneers but nothing large and certainly not full sheet.

Regards
    Mark
    Regards
    Mark Owen
    Woodpecker Manufacturing

I use water based with a foam roller have been for over 10 years .Its a dream to work with

I have posted a few times how water based is far superior
    Also I post this from experience .
    I agree only buy what your going to use .I would be curios to hear from Dave his thought being commercial I'm sure he goes through a lot

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Does the cement in the spray containers go bad if not used up within a certain amount of time?
    What do you thin solvent base contact cement with?
    In Ga i have been quoted 95.00 for a 5 gal container.

As long as the pot is sealed good, it can last a year or longer, as long as the solvents don't evaporate. I've had a pot in my garage for about 10 years now. I only use it once or twice a year, and I've only had it get thick once.

The 5 gallon cans are ready to spray, with no thinning necessary. But I have thinned it with acetone or lacquer thinner when it's gotten a bit thick. Be sure to mix well right before spraying.

$95 is about right. We buy about 200-300 gallons/year, and pay about $81 if we buy 5 cans. But our single can price is right around that $95 mark. We use Wilsonart 950.