Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: contact cement

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Default contact cement

What is the best way to apply contact cement?
    I priced a canister of cement hose and gun but it is around 550.00 That will buy a lot of 5 gal pails and I was interested in what others do . Thank you

Spray gun and 2 gallon pot. We sometimes spray 10-15 gallons a day this way. We use Binks 2001 guns.
    Also, by buying five 5 gallon cans at a time, we save about $20/can over buying single 5 gal cans.

I use a siphon pot and buy it by 5's. Those precharged canisters are pricey and IMHO are only worth it for a field job if you can't lay your hands on a larger portable compressor. You can get away with the cheapos at Big Box or HF but there guns aren't as good as the pro varieties and you will get some that dump fast. I just picked up a couple at a local wholesale supply house for around 45 each and they spray clean.

Are you guys using the flammable variety or the non-flammable style.... ( I have a process that requires the stout stuff.) I would be interested to see how well the stuff sprays. It would reduce my labor a great deal. We currently brush apply, due to the structure that it goes on to....

The correct spec product, whether low emission, water based, or solvent based, all spray fine. It's not rocket science. Talk to any commercial supplier (except the "customer service order takers" who don't know squat).

Thanks Dave.

I will check with my floor products supplier ( who sells me the contact cement that we use). And will ask him about spray tech for this type product. Thanks for the post!

Monty

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Does the water base do as good as the solvent base or does it spray better?
    My suppliers tell me that they have a red or clear but have said nothing about water base. is there anyone who uses the siphon cup guns? what is the best thing to clean up tools and such with Thank you

I don't use contact cement however it would seem to me that even if you have to pay more for it you would be better off buying it in smaller quantities then the $550.00 size because if something happens like weather or something where you don't use it for a long time and it goes bad you won't lose hundreds of dollars.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I worked for a company that had several canisters for spraying as they had maybe 4 or 5 people spraying at a time. The other place had the spray pot set up but you had to take your work over to it and some of it was pretty big to move about. As for it going bad I have a canister that is about 3 years old now and almost gone but still good. the 5 gallon buckets would have dried up by now.

5 gallon bucket and cheap quart cup conventional spray gun from Northern Tool. I thin out the glue slightly to spray finer.
    PRS Alpha 96-60
    HSD 4hp Quick change spindle, HSK toolholders
    Air Drill
    6 zone vacuum table