Thread: Can I use a Tapmatic on the Shopbot Desktop?

Default Can I use a Tapmatic on the Shopbot Desktop?

I have a couple thousand knobs that need to be drilled and tapped. Has anyone tried this? Does the spindle have enough torque for the tapmatic?

Zam,
    torque shouldn't be an issue.
    but max rpm for my TapMatics are around 3000
    what model do you have?
    are you using a router motor? or spindle?

Ha,
    still can 't type and proof read

As Carl points out, those are RPM limited. I am not sure the spindle on the DT will have enough torque if turned down to a reasonable 1000 RPM for tapping. You may find that you don't have enough Z clearance with your tap in the TM to clear your work to begin with. Also, I would be concerned about hanging that much weight from the spindle - since the spindle bearings are not designed for that much weight or aggregate attachments.

You could however, mount an electric drill to the Z with the TM attached. That would work nicely...but that kind of eliminates the versatility you probably want to go from cut to tap.

Another option would be to add a 2nd Z axis to the Desktop with the Tapmatic on the 2nd Z. You'll lose some working travel in X, but you'll be able to use it like a toolchanger of sorts. This would also be true for another router or spindle that could be used in tandem to cut 2 things at once (double output) or independently like a toolchanger.

And still another option...would be to use the M5 (I think) mounting holes on the spindle backing plate sides to mount a cage to hold the tapmatic in front of the spindle. You could measure the offset and program it to work in conjunction with the spindle without the need to do anything too fancy.

There's ALWAYS a way...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by carlcnc View Post
    Zam,
    torque shouldn't be an issue.
    but max rpm for my TapMatics are around 3000
    what model do you have?
    are you using a router motor? or spindle?
    I don't have the tapmatic yet. I do have a Spindle on my Desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    As Carl points out, those are RPM limited. I am not sure the spindle on the DT will have enough torque if turned down to a reasonable 1000 RPM for tapping. You may find that you don't have enough Z clearance with your tap in the TM to clear your work to begin with. Also, I would be concerned about hanging that much weight from the spindle - since the spindle bearings are not designed for that much weight or aggregate attachments.

You could however, mount an electric drill to the Z with the TM attached. That would work nicely...but that kind of eliminates the versatility you probably want to go from cut to tap.

Another option would be to add a 2nd Z axis to the Desktop with the Tapmatic on the 2nd Z. You'll lose some working travel in X, but you'll be able to use it like a toolchanger of sorts. This would also be true for another router or spindle that could be used in tandem to cut 2 things at once (double output) or independently like a toolchanger.

And still another option...would be to use the M5 (I think) mounting holes on the spindle backing plate sides to mount a cage to hold the tapmatic in front of the spindle. You could measure the offset and program it to work in conjunction with the spindle without the need to do anything too fancy.

There's ALWAYS a way...

-B
    Thanks! You have my mind going! That gives me a lot of options. I will take some time to think this through.

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post

There's ALWAYS a way...

-B
    Have you seen any examples of this for me to reference?

Quote Originally Posted by Zamm View Post
    Have you seen any examples of this for me to reference?
    Not for a DT, but this ought to get the concept across & the juices flowing:

and here:

...and, the Air Drill Installation Guide

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com