Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: material for Baja desert

Default material for Baja desert

I have to quote a sign for a customer in the Mexican desert on the Baja peninsula. It is going to be about 4 feet x 3 feet and in full sun all day. What is the best material for that harsh environment? I need a flat background that will have borders letters and artwork applied. Thanks Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmoore View Post
    I have to quote a sign for a customer in the Mexican desert on the Baja peninsula. It is going to be about 4 feet x 3 feet and in full sun all day. What is the best material for that harsh environment? I need a flat background that will have borders letters and artwork applied. Thanks Bob
    Where in Baja as climate varies greatly...I am located in Los Cabos and use Sapele for signs with Imron paints. Northern Baja not near as harsh a climate as where we are located
    Vector Studio 22

That's your neighborhood Gene? I am sure they said Cabo San lucas but maybe they were giving me a general location. It seems like a long drive from northern Wisconsin. The preliminary plan is to make the sign with the weathered iron from sculpt Nuveau so I was looking more for a synthetic base material rather than wood. Do you have any experience with hdu or mdo down there? Thanks Bob

Los Cabos...includes San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas

Those materials not available here, lots of sign shops use pvc. What ever you make just be sure it's hurricane proof as possible...
    Vector Studio 22

Seems like a ripe opportunity for collaboration or handing the job off to the resident expert...I would have no problem commissioning Gene to do just about anything, if he was interested in the job. It is clear he has his finger on what's hot & he has demonstrated clearly, that he is 'on the level'.

I've done this several times in the past with other owner/operators - where the cost of travel or shipping either made it unprofitable or broke the budget. You take a percentage & hand it off to someone who knows the customs and materials of the land. It's win-win 95% of the time. This is assuming that you are in business to actually make money.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks again Gene. I am in the early stages of this so I still need to find out exactly where they are,( it is a long peninsula). Will post more details as I get them.
    Brady' Thanks for the input. Not sure about your make money comment. What else would I be in business for?
    Bob

1100 miles +- from San Diego...2 lane road and one of the most interesting drives you will ever make to Los Cabos...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Federal_Highway_1

http://www.roughguides.com/destinati...highway-hwy-1/

http://www.roughguides.com/destinati...highway-hwy-1/
    Vector Studio 22

Quote Originally Posted by bobmoore View Post
    What else would I be in business for?
    It was redundant. You'd be surprised how many have never answered that question for themselves. Rather than take the path of least resistance, they will literally go 'around the world' to avoid sharing the work when it makes sense. I didn't mean you specifically

Gene - No thanks. I'll fly in. Are the myths of bandits along that road true?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Bob, we have routed in 1/4'' aluminum and painted with auto paint with clear coat.
    seems like that would hold up and you could put a flat plate on top to help with sun.

here is one we did but have done others.
    Attached Images Attached Images

here is another carved 1/4'' aluminum sign.
    all letters are carved in
    Attached Images Attached Images