Thread: Ace is the place.

Default Ace is the place.

Just thought I'd share a job that I'm currently working on. I know that there isn't a lot of creativity in this one, but a logo is a logo. This is just a sample to hang on the shop wall. The full size signs with be on the router as soon as the material arrives on Monday. They will be cut from 1" Extira and will be 48"x72" and 18"x72" for a total of 6 signs. They will replace the back lit signs you see in the picture. This will be a first time installing a sign in a structure like this, but I think I'll get it done with a little common sence and the help from a friend with a bucket truck. Any input, suggestions or Critique is welcomed. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it looks GREAT! Bravo!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I like the ACE sign. How long did it take to cut? I am really interested in how you created the sand blasted look for the background. Is there good background clip art for that or did you create it?

Plan on having help moving the material around - it's extremely heavy.
    And FULL OF STATIC! Be prepared to get shocked several times.
    I've cut a lot of it in 3/4 inch and 1 inch for corbels and decorative panels on commercial buildings.

The company that contracted the cutting to me will be doing the installing, so I can't advise on that other than to maybe allow for a little movement due to thermal expansion. Also they had an issue with paint easily scratching off (they had someone else paint) so chances are there should be some sort of surface prep on areas that are smooth and not machined. The machined area will probably provide enough "tooth" for the paint to bond.

Kurt,
    Thanks for sharing. I think it looks great. Looks like a nice money maker.

Years ago I used extira on two jobs. Both were primed and painted with Mathews Paint Systems primer and top coat. Both stud mounted against wall.

I would like to see a few progress pics of production, and finished photos would be great.

I learn more looking at a few good photos than anything.

Dave

better then the two parks signs I did. 8'x3.5'x3" clear cedar glued up about 1000.00 worth of wood each the streets was terrible. just simple carved really slow to keep tarot down and a rounded top. boring and very heavy. *

Kurt,

I'd suggest looking a review of the original ACE Logo. The negative spaces are everything. For that reason the original plastic sign has more sophistication. The original logo designers pay close attention to this kind of detail.

Your wall sign could have Dibond letters that would be much cleaner and more easily painted.

Joe Crumley

Joe:
    I like the spacing between the A, C and E better in the wood but the spacing around the letters to the frame on the left and right should be closer to the spacing on the top and bottom. Is that what you are refering to?
    Thanks Kenn

I think Joe is speaking of the reproduction of the logo.

It is their brand and trademark. I didn't even catch the difference from the "ACE" logo to the carved one. Funny how the eye can play tricks on you.

I just googled "ACE hardware logo"

Dave

I'm cautious about making updates to a company trade-mark. Logo's like ACE Corp. cost them lots of money and consideration. Who knows how many artists renderings it took to finalize this logo. Even if I think I could improve on a registration identity, it's a dicey move.

There are rules in design. For example; Letters that are closer together have a magnetic attraction to one another. Also every element in a design has an attraction to the border. These are known as negative spaces and are of vital importance to the designer. Everyone should know the Principals and Elements of Design. These are the laws by which all art is evaluated. There are approx. nine of these such as Unity, Dominance, Varity, Harmony, etc.

Joe Crumley
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joe; 03-19-2015 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Add Photo