Thread: Where to get router rebuilt

Default Where to get router rebuilt

Anyone know where I can get a PC 8902 router rebuilt. The one that came on my machine needs a new bearing and new collet chuck. I contacted the Porter Cable service center near me. They want $70 and hour and estimated about two hours to rebuild. So I'm looking at about $170 with parts, locally. The cost of a new one is $180!!!!
    Max Girouard
    Girouard Mandolins
    www.girouardmandolins.com

In my book It doesn’t make sense to spend more than ½ the cost of a new one … How venturesome are you? The 7818 is so easy to work on that most of us do our own repairs.
    Maybe buy a new one and try your hand at fixing the old one. You might land up with a spare!
    SG

Having handheld power tools is not cost effective unless you do it yourself.

You can buy collets on Amazon.

A bearing is probably $15. If you have a bearing puller and an impact wrench to get the bottom of the spindle off, you can probably do it yourself in an hour.

There are numerous videos online that will walk you right through the process

Default bearings

you can get replacement bearings and brush's for around $20.00
    at ereplacementparts.com Jeff And if it's your 1st time Utube
    Jeff King
    shopbot buddy BT-32
    P/C - 3.25 hp

The things I make may be for others ,
    but how I make them is for me . T. Konovaloff

My PC service center will rebuild mine for no more than 1/2 the cost of a new one. But I would say buy another one and try your hand at rebuilding the other.....
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by POPS 64 View Post
    you can get replacement bearings and brush's for around $20.00
    at ereplacementparts.com Jeff And if it's your 1st time Utube
    Jeff hit it, they are simple machines easy to rebuild, some of mine are 20 years old going strong after a few rebuilds, its nice to have a spare so when you have some downtime you can do a rebuild not in the middle of a job that needs to get done.

I went ahead and ordered a new one. I don't mind trying to rebuild it, but time is at a premium right now. I did watch a bunch of the youtube videos at home, but I don't have an impact wrench, or a arbor press, or a bearing puller. I'm going to swap it out with the new one as soon as it comes in so I don't have any down time on the machine, other than the hour it will take to swap and re align it.
    Max Girouard
    Girouard Mandolins
    www.girouardmandolins.com

Quote Originally Posted by Max Girouard View Post
    I went ahead and ordered a new one. I don't mind trying to rebuild it, but time is at a premium right now. I did watch a bunch of the youtube videos at home, but I don't have an impact wrench, or a arbor press, or a bearing puller. I'm going to swap it out with the new one as soon as it comes in so I don't have any down time on the machine, other than the hour it will take to swap and re align it.
    Sounds like the best choice.

You might try selling the one with the bad bearings to someone who has more time on their hands. Probably won't be much but if you are anything like me it means you won't have a burned out router sitting around you plan to rebuild but never have the time so it sits there collecting dust on a shelf until you find it 5 years later and go "oh yeah, I'm going to rebuild that" so you put it back and repeat in another 5 years... not that I do that or you would either but I'm just saying, if you are unfortunate enough to be that messed up then having an extra few $$ might be better than having a router shaped shop ornament.

Fortunately no one on this forum has that problem

/RB

Quote Originally Posted by harryball View Post
    Sounds like the best choice.

You might try selling the one with the bad bearings to someone who has more time on their hands. Probably won't be much but if you are anything like me it means you won't have a burned out router sitting around you plan to rebuild but never have the time so it sits there collecting dust on a shelf until you find it 5 years later and go "oh yeah, I'm going to rebuild that" so you put it back and repeat in another 5 years... not that I do that or you would either but I'm just saying, if you are unfortunate enough to be that messed up then having an extra few $$ might be better than having a router shaped shop ornament.

Fortunately no one on this forum has that problem

/RB
    No, no one but what is that tub of old PC sanders doing on the floor in the shop? It's been there a looooong time with saw dust on it to prove it. Must be 10 there at least.