Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a Shopbot, advice?

Default Looking to buy a Shopbot, advice?

I again have the money and want to purchase a Shopbot. I have tried before but life got in the way.

The main thing I want to do is lithopanes/v-carvings on lexan material and small signs/tags. The objects I have in mind will fit on a desktop.
    My questions are; Will the Desktop be the correct choice for speed and accuracy or is a buddy just as accurate and fast?
    Will a router do ok for this application or does a spindle work appreciably better?

Because of shop room the Buddy is as large as I want to go. I think I might prefer a Buddy for the extra size so I can do more projects but thought the Deskbot might be faster?

There are several Desktops on this forum for sale and have low hours. I was considering them. If you have an opinion how much is the "new" warranty and support worth to a newbie?

Also for the above projects will the Shopbot come with the correct software?

Thanks guys,
    Mark

Mark…
    IMHO the warranty issue is nonexistent! If there is a warranty need, generally it’s discovered while the machine is being setup!
    The type of work you’re describing can be done with V-Carve Pro, the Vectric 2D software Bots come with. If you buy used, there’s a possibility it’ll come with Aspire, the 3d software that VCP is a subset of.
    Generally, I say buy the most bot you can afford! You never know where this is going! I understand (not from firsthand experience) that the desktop may have more precision… Others may voice their opinion here.
    When you said you wanted to carve “Lexan” I hope that was a generic term for plastics… Lexan is a polycarbonate that doesn’t carve as well as Plexiglas (acrylics).
    Enjoy the hunt!
    SG

For lithos photo vcarve is good and very affordable.

Whether you buy a new or used machine SB support by phone or e-mail is always free and doesn't have an end date. The desktop has a finer resolution for small projects. The Buddy can handle larger things and can also cut faster. I believe in spindles and base my statements on using them and not a router. I know a guy using a buddy to cut precision machined aluminum plates for his business. For such as lithophanes, edge lit signs, etc both will do a fine job. For precise v-engraving such as name tags, marine panel overlays, etc the desktop is superior, but I have heard of guys doing ADA signs with a full size mill

I think you have most of your answers. As for the Buddy accuracy, check out this thread...

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2236

I brought his machine to my shop and made the alterations needed to get the accuracy he needed for the really small stuff he was doing. It did work as you can see at the end of the thread. It should give you an idea of what the Buddy is capable of if tuned to the job.

I ended up working with/on/around 3 Buddies even using one to cut bat house kits. I have to say they have their place but I'm not a ardent fan of the design. They will perform and do the job and can do it well. For small light work, Hobby work or highly specialized work they are great and you can modify them to do some cool things. However, the moving table design made hold down (which is already an art) into a ballet. I almost talked myself into purchasing the one Marty sold but decided against it. If I had a specific task it was suited for I wouldn't hesitate, like carving long mantles or making one into an indexer etc... but for general cutting I wasn't interested.

I do not have direct experience with the Desktop model beyond seeing several of them running. I understand they can be very accurate.

Whatever you choose, spindle, spindle, spindle, no router.

Good luck!

/RB

Nothing to compare it to, But can't imagine getting more accurate than the Desktop with spindle
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...+deliciousness
    My ears thank me every day for buying the spindle, and it's Really nice to have both feed AND speed extremely adjustable.
    Like it so much we bought Two
    Really nice to know I can run the toolpath twice, no matter how intricate, to clean up any "Fuzzies", as some details are a PITA to sand,and not lose any detail.
    If buying used, it's important to make sure when it was bought! 5.5Z Desktop started about April last year. 1.5" doesn't seem like much, but life is easier and let's you do more things 4"Z just doesn't let you.
    .02$
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks guys! This helped a lot.
    As always Very clear and concise answers.

I do lithos on my 48x96 PRS standard here is one that I did in corian and plexi
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would buy the biggest I can afford I have done many things on the bot that were not on my radar when I got my 48x96 2003 prt.

I did the lithophane lamps in 2004 on it, never had much luck selling them but that could have been my lack of marketing skill. The material was 1/4 high density polyethylene with a 1/16 ball mill, machines nicely with no gumming issues

Amazing, did not know that level of detail was possible! Brian you did those on a large machine?