Thread: Anyone use a photo-tachometer to measure Router RPM?

Default Anyone use a photo-tachometer to measure Router RPM?

I am curious if any of you folks have used a photo-tach (like the DT-2234a) to measure your router (or spindle) RPM. I have the router and suspect that the spindle would have speed control that would make such redundant; but I am mainly curious if it would work. Thoughts?

Thanks again...

Yes - they work...but you might have to monkey with the reflective tape to get a good reading.

You may want to consider a Super PID for your router until you can get a spindle. Just Google it & read...You'll probably like the idea.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I do like the idea; but it seems like it has the same fault of needing some sort of mark to detect the RPM. My fear is that in a high-dust environment, the mark might get missed, giving a false low RPM read, causing it to signal higher RPM.

I realize that the load of cutting will lower my RPM but for now, I would be happy for a start of knowing what the RPM is to start with.

Does anyone know of any routers out there which the speed control incorporates feedback from the current RPM? With the advent of router tables and router-based CNC machines, I would think that there might be a few out there.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    Does anyone know of any routers out there which the speed control incorporates feedback from the current RPM? With the advent of router tables and router-based CNC machines, I would think that there might be a few out there.

Thoughts?
    Not that I am aware of at a 110v 'router' price. At that point, you're into spindle & VFD territory. The Super PID is the poor man's spindle, although you can look into a Chinese one, but they aren't as cheap as they used to be a year or two ago.

The Porker Cable bogs down a lot easier than I thought it would have the 1st time I saw one in action. I was watching a guy in Ottawa, ON surface his table. Witnessing this, while only shaving off a few hundreths, re-affirmed my decision to buy a spindle.

I'm not sure if you are an engineer, 'garage band' user or using it to run a business, but if you are the latter, you'll want a spindle. It's commercial/production duty. A 110v router with brushes is not. The bearings aren't as large as a spindle or as precise, larger run-out, brushes that need replacement, not to mention torque/RPM control or lack there of and limited collet selection.

The sound alone of a PC router starting up is enough for me to want to leave the room immediately. If you haven't seen/heard a spindle of any brand - try to. You'll be amazed.

Thoughts? Yes...Clean your machine more often than not. When you apply the shaft sensor and tape, cover it and protect it from dust as much as you can. If it flakes out...just clean it. OR...eliminate an optical sensor for a hall effect or mag sensor. That is if you use your machine to tinker. If you make a living with it, just save up for the spindle. There's no short cut...everything has a price.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

The Super PID is the only router speed control that uses rpm feedback.