Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: DIY Vacuum Box

Quote Originally Posted by 80grit View Post
    I'm getting ready to build a vac box for 4 LH motors. I am only buying 2 for now and will buy 2 more when I get the funding. I've been pouring through vacuum posts here for months, trying to learn everything I can. I really appreciate everyone's experience and their willingness to share it.

For those who have used the LH motors, what is the greatest source of the noise? Cooling air intake, cooling air exhaust, vacuum exhaust?

Has anyone ever used another means to assist in cooling, like an external fan?
    Hi 80grit, the fans are loud but not from one area or the other, if noise is an issue I would locate the fan box in another area ( that's what I will do next )
    I know others have added cooling fans to the box, Lighthouse says the fans can run fine @ 180 degrees.
    One thing for sure, DO install a filter! I have read others say they clean the system real good and the spoil board will be the filter BUT
    I know for a fact, stuff happens and when I cut through my spoil board ( all the way and then some trough ) I was very happy I had installed the filter!
    I know the vacuum hold is awesome!
    Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Thanks, Tim.

I do have enough space to put my vac system outside. It would just be more expensive and time consuming. I'd have to build some sort of covered structure onto my shop to make it work. I've been looking for an excuse to get my loud air compressor outside, though. This might be the excuse I need to make it happen.

I asked about what part makes the most noise because I figured one option would be to just run the exhaust out the side of my shop if that would gain me much, but like you say, I the whole unit is noisy. I will find out first hand in a couple days when I get my motors.

Could you tell me what size plastic board you are using? Also does any have a 6 zone set and can share their file. I am trying to build one now.

Quote Originally Posted by willmorgan View Post
    Could you tell me what size plastic board you are using? Also does any have a 6 zone set and can share their file. I am trying to build one now.
    Will, I have a 6 zone cut file for a 4' x 8' but its on the other computer, I will try to post it tomorrow - Plastic board? for your plenum? if so 3/4" thick would be best.
    Tim
    www.TLCW.us

Thanks Tim. That would be great. Yes I was asking which plastic for plenum? Someone told me starboard but I'm sure there may be others. Are you still just using MDF?

Quote Originally Posted by willmorgan View Post
    Thanks Tim. That would be great. Yes I was asking which plastic for plenum? Someone told me starboard but I'm sure there may be others. Are you still just using MDF?
    Yes I am using MDF, would like to use Starboard but it is high dollar at this time. Do you have Vcarvepro 8 ? that is what I used for the cut path.
    Tim
    www.TLCW.us

Yes sir, I have VCarve Pro 8.

I tried to upload the file but it wont let me ( says wrong file type ) send me your email and I will email it to you

Tim
    www.TLCW.us

Tim,
    Sent you a private message.