Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Vacuum Box

Joe, thanks, very helpful. I think I've got it now. I assumed that I needed two lines coming from the vac box running over to my manifold that distributes vacuum to the six table ports. It would be simpler to run one larger line to the manifold. I now understand your photo of the box. You have the vac port coming out of the side that has the legs. I cut two, 2 inch ports coming out of the side without the legs. Does it matter?

I see that you used 3" piping up to and including the manifold and then stepped down to 2" for the under table piping. Correct? I assume you used flexible pipe from the vac box to your manifold. Where did you get 3 inch flexible pipe? I find 2 1/2 and 4 inch at Rockler, but no 3 inch.

Ken,

The theory behind one 3" pipe to supply the manifold is to be able to use the holding power of both motors at the same time. I would assume that if you were going to use only a small section then you might could get away with powering only one motor but I haven't tried it. The 3" coupling ($6.42 w/Prime) came from Amazon, here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would cover up the 2 - 2" holes and go with one 3" and have both motors pull from the same chamber if that makes sense.

Here is a pic of my box prior to closing it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Thanks guys. I've asked enough questions to take the next step. May need to rework the vac box to have one 3 inch port rather than 2, 2 inch.

Tim: I visited your web site - WOW! Impressive furniture. I'm in the sign business, but build a simple furniture piece now and then. I wish I lived closer to your shop. I could use the woodworking training for my hobby (in between signs).

Ken,

I agree, I would love to hook up with someone close that has more experience with it than I do. I have owned 2 (2000-2006, 2014-present) but have never really used them to their full potential. Also, I have never cut cabinets on them but think I will this summer as I want to completely redo my kitchens..

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Aspire 9.0

Default Vac Cabinet Sketchup Design

Hi Guys: With your help I have modified my vac box design to have one 3 inch vac port. I will have to cut some new pieces for my actual box to catch up with my design. The design was done in Sketchup 15. If anyone wants the design file I am happy to share.

If you see anything wrong with this design, let me know. Easier to correct now than after I start hooking up the plumbing.

Ken,

Looks good to me, just one last thing, did you get the gaskets with the motors? That is very important cause if you overtighten them with not gaskets then you risk ruining your motors.

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Aspire 9.0

Joe: I did get the gaskets, but did not see where they were used. Seemed like the whole was not big enough. I'm going to my shop soon and I will have another look at the gaskets (and start rebuilding the box). I have only had the power on long enough to see that the vacs work so I don't think there is any damage. Screwed them down lightly.

Ken,

The gaskets go between the motor and the wood....
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Aspire 9.0

After I made a .5 inch deep cut between the zones with a .25 bit. I then threw the spoil board on the plenum and and surfaced it. Then I used the same file that I cut the .25 zones and cut the spoil board all the way through. so I had 4 pieces. I then removed it and glued .25 inch sintra strips in the cuts. I then glue each section of spoil board down to the penum.
    When I was done it looks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kenkelsey View Post
    Thanks guys. I've asked enough questions to take the next step. May need to rework the vac box to have one 3 inch port rather than 2, 2 inch.

Tim: I visited your web site - WOW! Impressive furniture. I'm in the sign business, but build a simple furniture piece now and then. I wish I lived closer to your shop. I could use the woodworking training for my hobby (in between signs).
    Thanks Ken, I do have a lots of fun building for others
    yes to bad we are not closer I could use some sign training
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us