Thread: No movement in Y Axis

Default No movement in Y Axis

I knew I should not have turned it off a few days ago!

Started to get carving some signs again and now no movement in the Y axis, swapped out the motors on the Z axis and the Y both motors are working fine.

When I use the SB software to attempt a move the Y displays "97" after one click and then the opposite direction one click displays "-46".

Is this a software issue or maybe a bad circuit board?

Help!!
    Bill Patterson
    OldGoatSigns, LLC
    Fredericksburg, Great state of TEXAS
    SB Standard 48 x 96
    2.2 hp spindle
    Since May 2012

Sounds like a motor driver. What control box do you have? You should have at least 4 rectangular boxes in the control box that the motor wires connect to. These are the drivers. Are they black or red? Do they say Gecko or Oriental on them? Or...do you only see IC chips on the board near where the motors plug in?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

The first thing I'd check would be the unit values for your Y axis. My bet is that they got messed up somehow and are now a very small number and that the Y axis is actually making very small moves.

You can check the unit values by typing "VU" in the command prompt. If the Y axis value is a small number... something different than the X axis value...you can change it to the same value as the X-axis (assuming the X is moving correctly).

You can also reset everything to the defaults with the "UR" command. Just make sure you select the correct tool when you reset.

Bill

Talking Y axis update

Thanks Brady and Bill. I have been gone all day shortly after posting this but will check both tomorrow morning.

Brady, I cannot tell you anything about the inside of the control box...shortly after I got the bot up and running when I bought it in 2012 i welded up a iron trough for the e-chain I bought to keep all the wires inside and neat. The problem with my install was that I cannot open the door to the control panel unless I drop the panel or remove the trough. I am going to lower the CP tomorrow (permanently) so I can gain access for such necessities...so I am sure I will be back with more questions than answers tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill Patterson
    OldGoatSigns, LLC
    SB Standard 48 x 96
    2.2 hp spindle
    Since May 2012

Default Y-Axis Problem Fixed..now the Z axis

Well Bill you were correct the Y-Axis setting was at "2" and the "X" was like 1800. Changed the settings and tested the motor for movement...hooray!!

I assemble it try to get back to the piece I was originally going to cut, located where I needed to Zero my Z axis and it came down to plate and stayed then message on screen says "Z did not make contact for some reason..going to close."

Now all I need to do is figure the "for some reason"...any ideas??

Thank you,
    Bill
    Bill Patterson
    OldGoatSigns, LLC
    SB Standard 48 x 96
    2.2 hp spindle
    Since May 2012

Bill…
    This time of year, when it’s cold and static is in the air, it’s not uncommon for me to get strange results when Z Zeroing… usually retrying clears up the issue. When things are iffy, having my hand on the Z-Zero plate will push it beyond whatever the issue is and cause it to fail.
    SG

Thanks Steve, have you seen a message like this before?

I re-posted this issue on a separate thread with this image so it would make more sense. I always make sure the plate is solid to the board by placing one of the wrenches to keep it from raising slightly from the coiled wire on the plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill Patterson
    OldGoatSigns, LLC
    SB Standard 48 x 96
    2.2 hp spindle
    Since May 2012

Glad you got it sorted.

Yes, the Zzero routine can fail from time to time. Nothing to worry about unless it fails all the time.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com