Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice Spindle or PC in 48 x 96 shopbot

Default Need advice Spindle or PC in 48 x 96 shopbot

I need advice for spindle and PC, i know money its a big difference but a long run and this is my first SB. and how its the maintenance of the spindle.

Thanks Forum for all you help.

Welcome to the forum Jose,
    I have a 4x8 2001 PRT and have a PC router. A bought a backup after the first year and keep extra brushes on hand. No complaints at all.

However, I am in the process of saving up for a spindle now a days. I have never used a spindle or even heard one run, but it is my next step in my series of upgrades. From what I gather, they are quiet, and provide constant power, more variable speed adjustment.

Others with spindle experience will chime in and be able to give you a better description of the spindle benefits.

But don't be afraid to save the money now, and add spindle later. There is always a use for a PC router in any workshop.

Dave

There are numerous threads comparing the router and spindles on the forum. The question comes up quite often.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl...alkshopbot.com
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Jose,

Maintenance on a spindle is almost none.

With a spindle you can let it run all night, coming in the next morning to see the job completed. I've been doing that for years but once you see a router come apart you'll never trust one again. Besides a router is noisy. I can stand besides a spindle running at 14K and talk on the phone.

Joe

Jose…
    There are many ways in which a spindle is superior to the router except one… Cost. A ShopBot with a router is superior to no ShopBot at all!
    SG

Jose,

Steve makes a great point. Cost is a factor.

My first two ShopBots had routers. My third has a spindle. I loved each of them.

The thing that I note with the spindle is that it is 4HP and I never worry about it not having the strength for what I want to do. The other thing is that it is QUIET compared to my PC router machines. MUCH quieter. I use hearing protection all the time anyway, but it is less tiring on me because it does not scream at me all the time.

The downside? The only downsides I can come up with are (1) the initial cost and (2) the 9 minutes worth of warm up routine on the spindle every time (each day) that I run my machine. I carefully use the warm up procedure so that the spindle will be warmed without a load on it.

If you can afford it, I recommend that you get the spindle. You will be happy that you did. If you can't afford it, you should still purchase all the shopbot that you can afford and then upgrade to a spindle at some point in the future. I also recommend that you get the Alpha model, not the Standard PRS. Trust me. You will be happy that you did.

Monty

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Jose, I have the spindle. I haven't been sorry for one day. I spent more on the spindle since over the years I have become quite tired of the sound of a router. Yes, as stated, they are expensive. If you want to first buy the Bot with a router and change to the spindle later that is a choice. Be aware that it is not just a simple change. If I were you I would find out what all is involved and the cost to just do the swap out. It may be more expensive than one would think. It is always cheaper in the long run to buy the machine you would like versus changing over later on. The spindle is the way to go.

Just one thing RE the warm up...

When I get to work, first thing I do is turn on the lights (4 switches in places around the shop), start up the large three phase RPC, turn on the air compressor/auto drain/main valve to the system, turn on the shop stereo and finally go to the Shopbot and turn on both the main power and the computer. If I am going to run parts I start the warm up routine and that 9 minutes sure goes fast. By the time I have my material ready to load, etc its over and I am ready to run.

If I am running periodically throughout the day I just remember to start the warm up a bit before I am ready to run the machine. Once you get into the habit, it is something you do/take care of automatically.

Never am I waiting in front of the machine for the 9 minutes to go by - there is always something else to do in the mean time! lol

The cost of a replacement spindle is a very good deterrent, if you ever decide to "just this once" run it cold. LEave the price tag on the spindle if you are liable to forget! : eek:

ahhh well take a look at a water cooled spindle...from China

and yes I will get bashed for saying it...

but mine has made runs of over 72 hrs with no issue
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vector Studio 22

Where I work they have 2 Biesse's one that I some times run is a pod and rail unit and they have a flat bed that another fellow runs. Both with big spindles and the company says just start the machine do the homing and start cutting no warm up They have been doing this for the last 10 years and haven't had any problems. My machine I do run the warm up program but some times I cut it a little short. No problems in 6 years I have the 2.2kw spindle. I had a router on my old Shopbot and would never think about going back. Like Gene said you can get a Chinese water cooled for just a little more than the router.