Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricking up the Z height

Default Tricking up the Z height

I was just perusing the thread about creating inlays and was interested to see that the author discussed varying the Z height just a few thousandths.

I have come across several instances where I would have liked to be able to zero the cutter to the material and then raise or lower it a few thousandths. For instance to run a second cut to clean up fuzzies.

Would it not be nice if we had some simple way to do this? Maybe I am just not smart enough to find it.

I have done this in the past by moving the cutter off of the work piece and setting it to zero, then moving in a negative direction, then using the z zero command.

is there not an easier way that does not involve moving the cutter off of the workpiece?

Quote Originally Posted by tlempicke View Post
    I have done this in the past by moving the cutter off of the work piece and setting it to zero, then moving in a negative direction, then using the z zero command.
    You can do it this way, or use the VA command to assign a location to where the tool is currently sitting. So, if your Z was sitting at 1.00", you could type in VA and enter in 1.01 and the Z will cut .01" deeper on the next pass. It's a little confusing at first, but works well.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Tom,
    Also a tip I got here was to run the same toolpath twice. It works great.
    Because you're not actually cutting anything, just "duplicate" the toolpath and then "edit" the bit so that it can do a full depth pass and speed the feed up.
    For instance, yesterday I did a new design with a .125"60degree engraving bit. First pass was actually cutting Purpleheart so it was 1,.5,16K. So I duplicated the toolpath and edited the name to 1B Speedpass, and edited feeds to 3,2,17K and it cleaned up all the cuts Fast! It came out almost burnished
    Darn, with forum change it won't take bigger pics
    Also, not seeing preview of attachments like I was? Is there a setting I have to change? Only happens since Nancy "improved" forum
    Hope this helped
    Play with it.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Brady, You didn't mention "Nudging" ? Or was .01" too much?
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Move Nudge (MN). Adjust +/- up to 0.5" per axis.
    Scott

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

You can zero any axis at the current position by entering ZZ for zero Z at the current position or ZX, ZY for those axis, you get the idea. Type Z2 and it zeros X & Y at the current position Z3 does all axis at current position. In your case you could MZ to 1.01 and when it moves there type ZZ and enter. The VA command can do the same like Brady explains works also.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Brady, You didn't mention "Nudging" ? Or was .01" too much?
    I have used the nudge feature in certain situations. Although it may not be the best way to do it was the only way I knew other than the move off table and re zero z.

I restart my file then immediately pause. Nudge z down whatever I want it. Then resume.

But beware, this can get you in trouble if for instance you put a new piece of material on table to cut with same bit and forget to re zero z to the original height of material/table base etc.

Dave

I have used both the Nudge (actively, during a cut where the material may have varied a little and I wanted the bit deeper by a small amount) and I have modified files like Scott suggested, where I strip out all the layers except the final cut level. And I will sometimes put in different speeds.

One other thing that I do with a lot of my files is to look at the position of my gantry after the cut is finished. If I want to have free access to take my part off the machine, I will modify the file to send the gantry far enough down the machine that I can take off my parts. ( I run a 5 x 10, so some of my parts are pretty good sized, and clearance is a must.

And something I started doing about 6 months after I got my first ShopBot was that I actually program in points to insert screws, if I am going to use them. Previously, I was always trying to envision where something was going to come out of a sheet or dimensional lumber, etc., so I could put in a few screws to hold it. And it finally dawned on me that I have the perfect tool to tell me where to place screws! Aspire is my friend, if I will open up my perception and figure out what it can do for me. ( I don't have enough power in my "barn" to run the Vac table, sadly enough! Some day....)

Monty

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    You can zero any axis at the current position by entering ZZ for zero Z at the current position or ZX, ZY for those axis, you get the idea. Type Z2 and it zeros X & Y at the current position Z3 does all axis at current position. In your case you could MZ to 1.01 and when it moves there type ZZ and enter. The VA command can do the same like Brady explains works also.

Mike
    Disregard this it would make it .010" too high do as Brady says with the VA command. In order for what I told you to do you would have to send the bit into the material by -.010" so unless you have a pocket this is not the way to go use your VA command. Sorry for the misinformation it dawned on me when I went out to my machine and started getting things set up.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    You can do it this way, or use the VA command to assign a location to where the tool is currently sitting. So, if your Z was sitting at 1.00", you could type in VA and enter in 1.01 and the Z will cut .01" deeper on the next pass. It's a little confusing at first, but works well.

-B
    This looks like exactly what I want, but it is confusing to me. Can you explain the "thinking" that the program is doing?