Thread: Estop adjustment or alternative

Default Estop adjustment or alternative

Hi,
    There are several things I do with shopbot for which it would be disastrous if I hit the emergency stop, space or S. Using a slitter saw, cutting a moulding that went under the part etc. Is there any way of making it so that if I hit stop, the machine does not automatically go to safe Z?

G4 SB 3.6.46

Thanks,

Ralph.

Not sure on that one, Ralph. In the not too distant past, it used to be if you hit the e-stop or spacebar, the tool would stop immediately without Z retraction. Hitting the S key would ramp the tool down and retract the Z. Somewhere along the line - all 3 actions resulted in the same Z retraction - eliminating the ability to omit Z movement when hitting a stop command.

This one is something you'll want to ask SB directly. I would send them an email and see if there is something you could do on your end. Since the action of an e-stop event is handled 'behind the scenes' - there isn't any parameter that I am aware of that you could change to stop the tool the way you describe - (I wish there still was...for the application you mention).

As you can imagine, there are safety concerns for the 99.9% of others not doing this type of work. If the e-stop action was able to be edited, that might cause some unintended consequences. Ask SB directly to get the official word...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady, I will try that.
    Ralph.

From Frank:
    The way we do it on the 5 axis machine is to set the safe to no value. Delete whatever number is currently there.
    I can put this into my Autocad toolpathing script as an option, with a return to previous setting at the end.
    Allbest, R

Cool - thanks for letting me know & glad there is a solution.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Cool - thanks for letting me know & glad there is a solution.

-B
    Following discussion with Frank, if you want to do this from within a sbp file, deleting the value doesn't work, but you can feed it a large minus value - it doesn't go down on doing an estop!

R.

Hmm...Interesting, Ralph. Thanks for posting this.

-B