Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collector sold by sb any recomendations!!!!

Default Dust collector sold by sb any recomendations!!!!

I am planing to buy a SH 48 and SB are selling me the Dust Collector 1.5HP 60Hz
    110V, 1,280 CFM, FLA 16A
    2-4" Ports 6" Inlet 18' Hose for 950$

any body have it?. any recommendations or should i go for it
    It is noisy?

Thanks

$950 for a 1.5 hp collector is pretty expensive in my opinion. I have had a Grizzly 2HP going on 15 years and it works great on my Shopbot. You can get the 2 HP Grizzly delivered for under $450. It also has more CFM at 1550. The other thing that you need to look at is the static pressure rating, that is very important. The Grizzly is rated at 11".
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

I have the 2 HP Harbor Freight unit that others say is a gem. Works very well and with a coupon you can get it for less than $200 right now there is a 20% off coupon on line promo code is 48692540. They are opening one up tomorrow about 6 miles from me.

It’s hard to compare apples to apples with dust collectors… some manufacturers list their CFM in free air while reputable ones list their CFM as a graph with the SP
    What’s really important is the micron filter size. You really want .5 micron or better! (that’s point 5) those with 2 and 3 micron are just looking pretty while they’re killing you!
    SG

I have learned with HB so close (they opened a few miles from me several years ago) I definitely buy more "disposable" tools there. Some do ok, some not so ok. None are "great"

It's easy to get drawn into the minute comparisons of dust collection. There are some very good off the shelf roll around units depending on how much use and how many tools you want to run, as well as how close to perfect you want your unit. It can get pretty personal, like the tighter the bags, the weaker the air flow.
    Do you have the room for a cyclone separator of some kind? 3PH or 1PH available? etc., etc.

Personally I would not buy any collector without a cyclone separator.

I think the Oneida products are pretty well made and have a good reputation. I'd look also at buying a used, larger unit (assuming you have the power and room). A smaller commercial portable unit (I had two 3HP Italian made units in my other shop with a separate cyclone in front) will be much more efficient and have the ability to run more than just the collector, if need be.

Lots to choose from..

AJC

Default attic fan

I have a basic 2 HP Jet Vac DC that works pretty well, but also have an attic fan located directly above the table.

The attic fan moves a lot of air to the outside and sends out what the Jet Vac may miss.

I suppose I am slowly adding insulation to the attic...
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I have a 1 1/2hp grizzly and was delivered off amazon for free think I paid a little over $400.00 great investment . Jeff
    Jeff King
    shopbot buddy BT-32
    P/C - 3.25 hp

The things I make may be for others ,
    but how I make them is for me . T. Konovaloff

Default this is my choice

http://www.grizzly.com/search/search...00.00..1999.99

More than I wanted to pay but the .2 micron filtration is what I want to be safe.

Hogging out solid wood panels with a 12mm bit makes a lot of chips...even with a good as previous mentioned DC you running over 2-4 hrs it's full, maybe sooner. In a production environment with table saws running, jointers, shapers you will need a big central system. Have never seen a shop producing many parts in a full, free small micron environment. That being said even with just the SB tool running...there will be the fine dust in the air.
    Vector Studio 22