Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost a step in the software?

Default Lost a step in the software?

I thought I had all my comm issues solved. Been running the machine in the air for 8 hrs a day for a few days. No lost steps, comm errors nothing. I was double checking as I went along also to make sure the machine was still returning to home each time before next file start.

I had the first simple job to cut on it a few minutes ago since new control CPU and at least 24 hrs of air cut time with no issues.

The attached pic show what happened. Had file setup to run 3ips ms 8 js. I went to speed it up via shift> I only went up to 3.5 with shift> then hit spacebar to pause and resume just so it would rework the ramping speeds. As soon as I resumed it started hatching out that part of the "D" It then finished cutting it out and came up short. It also did not cut the first part of the "D" at all. I let file continue, it cut everything else out fine. So I figured I would just restart file and stop it after it cut the missing part. I quickly realized as in the pic of "B" it had lost time in the y axis. Quit the file.

I redid the cut file just to cut the missing part. (And the part the bot forgot was correctly part of the original toolpath.)

The machine never "jumped or grinded" it ran smooth the whole time except for hatching out that portion, losing a piece to cut and moving y in about a -.25"

It seems that -.25" got lost somewhere from the keyboard to the end of the router bit. (in the software)
    Over the years I have had the bot freeze before, lose its position. Then had to rezero x,y correctly, restart file where it lost comm. But I dont know how to combat this one.

Of course this was just some paint stencils so no harm done. But had this been a carved sign I just ruined the prepainted, paintmasked sign blank. And I have a big piece of cypress to flat bottom carve monday.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

I went to speed it up via shift> I only went up to 3.5 with shift> then hit spacebar to pause and resume just so it would rework the ramping speeds.
    This may or may not have been the issue, but this doesn't update ramping. You would have had to pause, insert command, VS and adjust the speed values in the fill-in sheet, then resume. Shift + </> is only for on the fly small temporary speed changes. After doing it the way you state, it's possible that something got messed up upon resuming.
    Scott

PVC + dry Winter air = Zappy Zappy.

Make sure your dust collection and machine are properly grounded.

Properly grounded DC system = .025" copper coated steel MIG wire running THROUGH the entire length of the hose, poking out/folded over at the ends.

Mis-routed static electricity will cause the exact problem you are having.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

"Been running the machine in the air for 8 hrs a day for a few days."

Dave, running that way puts no chips thru the dust system. I suspect that having chips flowing thru the PVC hoses builds up static charge much faster than just air. Maybe you did not even have the dust system running when you air cut???
    Harold

Let me DROP EVERYTHING and work on YOUR job!!

Static....yeah have to admit that could have been it. I just hate that it had to happen when I was just changing settings.

I know better than changing the speed via shift> unless for little tweaks. However while air cutting the last few days I randomly went back and went from 2ips to 6ips using shift> VERY QUICKLY. Machine started banging at a corner cause ramping was jacked up (but I was just trying to make the machine skip). Paused machine with spacebar, and immediately clicked resume and ramping was reset immediately and no lost steps. But this was in the air of course with no load.

My ground wire is about 1/16" thick copper wire the cable guy uses on the side of your house. I have a few friends in the Cable TV world that I got the wire from way back. On the DC it goes from collector, in the hose, through the cyclone, thru the hose to the ground clip on the SB dust shrud. All Bare wire. (I stripped it all off by hand).
    Last edited by David Iannone; 02-27-2015 at 05:38 PM.

These are my Bot Ground points. Goes back to the ground in the outlet. Should I have my electrician run it all the way back to the breaker panel?

I am getting geared up this year for more CNC. Have a local cabinet company who wants to supply me with sheets and I cut them. Simple sheet processing.
    Still have to learn CPP, and he is willing to help me through the process of dado thickness, hole sizes, etc to the way he puts together the cabinets he buys in pieces and installs them.

Just trying to rule every senario out.

I think it was just bad luck today. I tell you what though, I am going to go start a cut file running in the air right now before I leave the shop for the day. Then I am going to put on my fleece jacket, and take it off. then touch the Bot and transfer the static right to the machine. (I DO NOT ADVISE OTHERS TO TRY THIS) I will do it repeadedly. If I don't lose a step and I don't blow my control board, could I consider it properly grounded?

P.S. Years ago I removed the wango plugs and soldered my wires at the motors directly together to eliminate possible loose connections. As ssen in pic#2

If I am properly grounded, I will keep searching.

Dave

Harold, you are correct. I did not have the DC or PC router on during any air cutting.

Dave

Ok, that was fun. Just send static directly to the x axis rail 6 times while air cutting. One time I even drug my feet on the carpet up front, and took of jacket. That little jolt made a hair on my head stand up for a fraction of a sec. I also went from 2ips ms to 6ips ms speed with shift> and paused quickly, then resumed, couldnt make it mess up again. It finished file and came back to correct x,y zero.

Headed home, had enough fun for one day........

Dave

could it have been when the bit touched the material after you restarted the file.

David,
    I can't remember which SB3 version your running, but did you possibly hit spacebar during a rapid Z movement.
    When I jumped in at 3.8.14 had super funky things happen when I did that. So much so that I didn't dare hit resume until several versions later. JUST getting comfortable with it again in 3.8.26, as I haven't had any problems since changing to it.
    Probably irrelevant....Just saying, as Brady was the one who clued me in. Usually affected Z though for me.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine