Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/16" bit feeds and speeds

Default 1/16" bit feeds and speeds

Anyone here have experience with 1/16" bits? I'm doing some pocket cuts that are .0625" deep in solid wood (birch/walnut). I tried Freud 04-096 bit but even when it was out of the box, the edge cuts showed some fraying. Any suggestions on feeds and speeds for a small bit like this? It'll be used for production runs so I don't mind spending a little extra knowing that it'll do its job well. I would like to find a quality bit that cuts the top/bottom and sides clean.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mmak2916; 02-28-2015 at 12:12 PM.

A 2-flute carbide end mill will work fine for this. All end mills 1/8" and smaller have an 1/8" shank. If you have a spindle get an 1/8" collet. If you have a router, see what Precise Bits has for your router. I would avoid router bits, especially ones that are necked down from a 1/4" shank. These are a waste of money.

Speeds depend on the design, but you should be able to get it in one pass depth. Start at MS,1.2,0.7 and 18,000 RPM. The smaller tools like higher RPM. Feather in more XY speed as needed. You'll probably be OK up to 2 IPS or so, but start slow and add speed a little at a time while observing what is going on. Listen to what the bit is telling you.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thank Brady! Can you recommend a specific brand/part# so I can check it out?

I did a quick search on Google and found this. Would something like this work?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-0625-2-...-/151248427803

Thanks!

Amana makes a 1/16" bit with a 1/4" shank that I use and have good luck with, mostly for cutting engraving plastic but some plywood. If you want to give one a try, Amazon has them for around $20 with Prime shipping if you don't have a local Amana dealer.

http://www.amazon.com/Amana-Tool-451...dp/B000637TRS/

Bill

M, Never used his 1/16", but here is his identical Kyocera in 1/8"D. Cut in Purpleheart a minute ago for you. 1.1,.5, 15K in one pass .0625" depth at 40% stepover, Climb cut using Offset toolpath.
    Button was cut with their Kyocera .125"D 45degree engraving(same $4 price).
    Very prompt service and delivery, use them quite a bit in last 6 months. TRY to make sure the bits are Kyocera though. Ordered one time without checking close enough, and it didn't cut as clean.
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by mmak2916 View Post
    Thank Brady! Can you recommend a specific brand/part# so I can check it out?

I did a quick search on Google and found this. Would something like this work?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-0625-2-...-/151248427803
    Technically yes...but I doubt it could be considered a quality tool. I recommend avoiding Ebay for tooling unless it is a premium brand.

I recommend Harvey Tool part number 72062. It's $11.90 ea via HarveyTool.com & cheaper via ObergBrothers.net (call them on the phone) - Mention me & you'll get a better price.

There are 3 criteria to keep in mind when selecting an end mill (and you should always use 2-flute for routing) - these are OAL (overall length), CEL (cutting edge length) and of course, diameter. Avoid HSS (high speed steel) - you should go for good micrograin carbide. It will outlast cheap tools and router bits.

Again, I'd avoid the 1/4" to 1/16" tools because they are 99% of the time ground from a lower quality carbide. Also, you are paying for a 1/4" blank, but 3/16" of it is being ground away to yield the 1/16" tip. Why pay for that? If you are a 'garage band' CNC guy you can get by with the cheap tools...but you mentioned production.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Scott,

How do you do the celtic pattern in the button? Is that done with a Vee-bit? Those really look fantastic.

Thanks,
    VBit/VCarved
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-60-degree...item58bef0160c
    Too deep on that one(.12") looks almost as good at .06" depth, and that would only be one pass, and easier to clean for customers. We're using their 30,45,60,and 90"s in 1/8" and the Northern shop just finished 450 buttons last week of the fluted design using the 30's and 60's
    I like the Celtic though
    scott
    Padauk was their 90 degree.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

I'm constantly impressed by the knowledge and advice from this Shopbot forum! I'm so glad I bought a Shopbot...

@Scott - Thank you for your sample test images, looks great. I ordered two bits to test out since they were cheap enough.

@BillYoung - I have bought the Amana 45190 bit and it's on the way so I will test it against the 1/16" endmill.

@Brady - Thank you for bit suggestion! I will look into the Harvey Tool bit and perhaps order it as well!

I will report back soon on how these bits perform...stay tuned.

M,
    Yep, Wouldn't be anywhere close to where we're at without the Forum on the learning curve
    Currently only use 1/16'th on .07-.08" buttonholes using "profile/inside/spiral ramp option(Quick)" but have done almost 1,000 holes on the same bit, and only have 1 spare. So I'll be looking at the the Harvey,Amana, and Kyocera as well. Thanks Brady and Bill!
    I do have one design for a Business Card holder that uses a 1/16" card display slot (Thanks for design suggestion Eugene), but when cutting "with the grain" the Hard Maple fibers love to wrap around the 1/16" bit(MillMonster 2F EM) and have to use compressed air to often....so hoping a different bit might solve that.
    So post pics, and mention whether or not you run across that problem M?
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine