Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/16" bit feeds and speeds

I'll just throw out, that I have had very good luck with the kyoceras. And at their prices I use em until i get a hint of tear out then toss.

they also make downspirals, they say for plastic, but I use em in wood just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-0625-CA...item58a4704127
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Thought I'd share some of my findings of the two bits that I purchased. Using 1.1/0.5 @ 15,000RPM.

And the winner is...the Kyocera bit! It just needed light sanding for the edges to clean up. The largest pockets are around 0.5" x 0.4" and the smaller pockets are 0.25" x 0.15". The Amana bit tore up the edges significantly more. I could keep on testing with feeds/speeds to see if it'll be any better but I'm pretty happy with the results from the Kyocera bit.

Scott, with both bits I didn't experience the issue of the fibers wrapping around the bit, but I'm using birch and not maple...

bit_test.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by shoeshine View Post
    I'll just throw out, that I have had very good luck with the kyoceras. And at their prices I use em until i get a hint of tear out then toss.

they also make downspirals, they say for plastic, but I use em in wood just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-0625-CA...item58a4704127
    those look about the same as I get off of ebay. I get 15 or more hours cutting out of a bit cutting bb plywood 1/8" 12k 1ips single pass.

Congrats M.
    Experiment with swapping the direction of your cut as well(swap from conventional to climb or versa visa) on the Amana(also looks like something funky going on --Identical toolpath?)
    Also look at "Shoeshines" downcut. Pocket finish may be different, BUT should leave almost zero tearout.
    Thanks on "No Fibers", My problem only showed up when "Profile-On Line" cutting with the grain of the wood.
    Glad you made the cut....and felt like an idiot yesterday when I found two of Drillman1's 1/16" hiding in the back of my drawer
    scott
    Last edited by scottp55; 03-05-2015 at 06:14 AM.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    M, Never used his 1/16", but here is his identical Kyocera in 1/8"D. Cut in Purpleheart a minute ago for you. 1.1,.5, 15K in one pass .0625" depth at 40% stepover, Climb cut using Offset toolpath.
    Button was cut with their Kyocera .125"D 45degree engraving(same $4 price).
    Very prompt service and delivery, use them quite a bit in last 6 months. TRY to make sure the bits are Kyocera though. Ordered one time without checking close enough, and it didn't cut as clean.
    scott
    Hi, what is the convention for " 1.1,.5, 15K " ?? I recognize the 15K as the spindle speed but not the 1st or 2nd columns (? IPS).
    I just ordered some 1/8 inch shank , 1/16 inch diameter with 0.375 cutting length bits from Drillman to experiment making larger size piece (think wooden jigsaw puzzle pieces for toddler hands) wooden jigsaw puzzles. I'm thinking less than 20 pieces filling a 12 in x 12 in board. I want to see if the puzzle pieces will fit well enough cutting on the puzzle pattern directly, without having to resort to cutting individual pieces and fiddling with allowances.

I plan to mill 1/4 inch maple and use food safe coloring (Arti Toymaker dye) and finish with cutting board (non-toxic) finish.

Was also thinking to cut two sets with the grain of one board perpendicular to the other and glue cutout pieces together (like plywood) to make thicker pieces that resist warping.

How many passes would likely be safe for a 1/16" bit in 1/4 inch maple? Thanks for any comments / tips.

Carolina
    ShopBot Desktop MAX, spindle, 3" Indexer, Aspire 9.5, and a big learning curve...

Carolina...1.1(is IPS X,Y Move speed), .5(is IPS Z(plunge) Move speed), 15K is RPM
    I'm VERY conservative, and usually stick with the 1/2 Diameter= Pass Depth with dense hardwoods....Never broken a bit though so probably slow, but not as much deflection on tiny bits either, and I get the edge quality I want.
    If it's a Profile cutout toolpath, then maybe try a Spiral Ramp like I do to keep a constant force on the bit...slight spiral also fools the eye a little bit on the minute mill marks.
    For Sugar Maple I'm set at 1, .5, 17K for both Drillman's .0625" Up and Downs....for Denser woods like Bloodwood etc. I'm down around .7-.8, .4,17K...bit stays room temp and finish is excellent......For Production, you may want to gradually increase feed/speed/pass depth until cut quality suffers/or bit breaks...then back off about 10%.
    Machine is cutting Claro Celtic Dragon now with a Chinese .25mm TBN I've barely used...time to go babysit for another 4 hours
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks Scott, very helpful...
    ShopBot Desktop MAX, spindle, 3" Indexer, Aspire 9.5, and a big learning curve...