Thread: New Probe Question

Default New Probe Question

Hi Guys,
    Need a little advice. Running a PRT96 with gecko control box. Got a project that required a probe. Ordered said probe and need to hook it up. I have 2 sets of inputs on my control board. input 1 has my estop and zzero plate. The probe instructions indicate wiring to +5v and input 1 and ground. So to test i disconnected my e-stop and zero plate and connected the probe. Now Im getting an e-stop error in software. (expected)
    The question is will the porbe work on the second input terminal block? that way i can have my e-stop and zzero plate and probe all connected?

And if this does work is there anything I need to do in the SB3 software to make it work?

I don't know why you would need to disconnect the e-stop?

In the control box all of your inputs are on the blue terminal blocks.

The first set of blocks has Gnd (ground), Input1, 2, 3, 4 and 5v. You will have to share ground (Gnd) with a few of the inputs, but you may have to use the Gnd terminal over on the outputs if there isn't enough room.

Input 1 is for both the Zzero plate AND Probe - The black wire goes to input 1. White or green to Gnd. Red to 5v+
    Input 2 is skipped unless you have a newer machine
    Input 3 is for Proximity switches (both X&Y black wires go here; green to Gnd; Red to 5v+)
    Input 4 is exclusively reserved for the E-stop & nothing else. One end goes in Input 4, the other to Gnd

If you have a 3-wire Zzero plate cable that goes back to the control box, make sure that the red wire from it is connected to the 5v+ terminal. If you only have 2 wires, you'll have to run another one or purchase a 3-wire cable from SB & install it per instructions.

You do not have to uninstall any accessories to hook up the probe. If you have the 3-wire setup, you should also have a Wago 'spout connector' near the router that the probe is designed to plug into. If not, make life easy on yourself & get the cable from SB.

When the probe is plugged in, Input 1 will light up and STAY ON until you move the stylus - then the light will go out. When you let go, it will light up again.

Never try to Zzero the probe with the plate...The plate is a normally open switch; the probe is a normally closed - on the same circuit. Early on, several didn't get this & crushed their brand new probes before they even got to use them.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks for the great advice Brady.
    I followed your instructions and I am getting the light on input 1. However, moving the stylus is failing to deactivate the light? Any ideas? . I have rebooted everything and still same result?

I fear testing a probe file because if the probe isn't switching the light on and off on input 1 then it is not registering the point and may break the stylus.

Bill

Ran through a probe set up routine and in the 2D fill in sheet it is preset at input 1 with a note that says (input 2 on PRT only) ...Could that be my problem? Should my probe be set at input 2 since I have a PRT96?

Bill

Well, I'm at a loss...input 2 doesn't work either