Thread: Sticky threads

Default Sticky threads

The thread on feed/speeds was closed and my point was taken incorrectly.

My point was surely it's better to have one thread about machining ali where people can add a question on if they're not sure about something or it's not covered than 20 plus threads with the info scattered around the place?

It's not a matter of me not wanting to read those posts (the amount of time I spend helping people on the Vectric forum should prove that) but about making better use of this resource for the people coming into the industry/hobby.

What the forum needs, I feel, is sticky threads with the most common topics at the top.

It's got to better for beginners to be able to come to the forum and see threads at the top with subjects such as "Feed/speed for metals", "Problems with Z-Zero", "Recommended bits and suppliers" etc etc with the knowledge they need there rather than spread all over the place?
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

Adrian…
    Thanks for your clarification… I like the Idea! My only concern is when newbies see “feeds” in a “sticky”, they will think it’s something “cast in stone”, rather than something a bit flexible for the circumstances… As it is now, when someone asks about feed speeds, they get a verity of answers. If you have an “official” sticky answer, the forum becomes the official word from SB rather than a group of users sharing experience… But maybe that’s ok.
    SG

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Adrian…
    Thanks for your clarification… I like the Idea! My only concern is when newbies see “feeds” in a “sticky”, they will think it’s something “cast in stone”, rather than something a bit flexible for the circumstances… As it is now, when someone asks about feed speeds, they get a verity of answers. If you have an “official” sticky answer, the forum becomes the official word from SB rather than a group of users sharing experience… But maybe that’s ok.
    SG
    If I am browsing for information to get me going on something where I know nothing, if there is an FAQ I usually start there. So how about the top line on the forum being a well organised, SB managed and up to date FAQ?
    R.

Moved to keep these suggestions in one place.