Thread: Replacement to obsolete bit

Default Replacement to obsolete bit

I have been using an Onsrud DS 57-281 to work with Baltic Birch cut out. It has done a decent job for me. However I have discovered that it is obsolete... and so I am wondering what bits you folks are using to neatly cut Baltic birch? I am looking for a smooth edge and to not get too much fuzzies on top or bottom....Suggestions- even if they are significantly different from what I have been using would be appreciated. ( I never said I knew everything! And some of you will undoubtedly have a good idea for a replacement!)

Thanks in advance.

Monty

Monty,
    Are they bigger parts...or a bunch of small nested? Reason I ask is tight nesting with low waste. 1/8" Kyocera runs at 2.6,.5,10K Conventional and has a 1" CEL but only run at 1/2 Diameter passes... so Much slower. Most liftup that knocks right down with a light 220G as in on waste side. We've been using for most cutouts for 8 months now because it's a Desktop and we're using fences for reference so tolerances get tight. Handy for us, not many long CEL's in 1/8". Decent edge with spiral ramp and no offset skin. Used with from Ash to Teak same speeds. Still on first one(Barring the one I snapped the first time I used Shopfox/fence combination with nothing to spread the clamping force
    Just mentioning. If interested, I'll post closer edge pics on the BB fences and wedges I use.
    scott
    Oh, the counterbores for the boltheads in the pics were cut with Centurion .25" FEM downcut. If I have the room and material, I cutout with those. Maybe their plunge cut Down?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thank you Scott. I was (most recently) cutting 18mm BB to do a slot-together with a lot of small corner dogbones. I did six full sheets over the course of 3 days. I had 9 edges that were 3D profiles ( so a ball nose, tapered bit, and a LONG cut time)... but my parts per fairly large and semi-circular, so I would have fuzzies on one side of the project or the other even switching from Conventional to Climb. I found that the 57-281 (DC spiral in 1/4 -but is discontinued) was a much better cutter than my 52-180 from Hartlauer(upcut, 2 flute, spiral in 1/4"). The latter tended to pull up enough that it even chipped out the veneer along some edges. So I was looking to replace my 57-281 with something similar... ( Though I would buy a few 1/8 to have them on hand for other projects that come along).

I tried a 3/16" bit I got off ebay ( ok. I got a dozen of them for like $5 each) 3/16" downcut on a 1/4" shaft... short CEL - about 7/8 IIRC.... I ran one of the parts that I needed and the bit, with a 3/16 per pass, spiral ramped cut and 2.7ips at 13.5K was SO clogged with burned glue or residue from the birch that it was not useable for a second sheet. I also lost the work that I did with it because it didn't really mic out at .18. Measured it, then one of the fresh ones. They come out more like .1889. So, my slot that was supposed to be .708 came out as .726+.... did not press fit like it was supposed to.... ( silly me. They were CHEAP. I should have double checked them. I will just hold onto them for making birdhouses or something!)

The successful bit was running a spiral ramp with about .25 per pass and 3.5ips/ 1ips. It was the sheer volume of 3D cuts that I was running that ate up the time. The peripheral cuts were pretty good. But I would like to get comparable bits and have them in stock for the next new project....

Thanks for your input. It is, as always, appreciated.

Monty

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

Monty
    the 57-280 is the same as the discontinued 57-281, being .25x.875x.25x2.5 then the 57-285 is .25x.1.0x0.25x2.5
    you might also want to look at he .25 downcut chip/breaker finisher .25x1.0x.25x2.5 (bdp015)
    Gary
    Beckwith Decor Products
    Caveco Distributor, USA
    Custom CNC Tooling/Onsrud Distributor

Gary,

I am going to have to get with you and get a new 1/8" tapered... maybe I can order up a few bits with you while I am at it. Thanks so much for chiming in. Since it is an obsolete bit- I was having difficulty placing it in their line up. That helps a bunch!

"I have been using an Onsrud DS 57-281 to work with Baltic Birch cut out."

Look for Onsrud 57-280 on Ebay, right now there are 5 new ones for $10 each with free shipping. I agree with you, this is a nice bit for Baltic Birch, I just bought 3 of them.
    Harold

Let me DROP EVERYTHING and work on YOUR job!!