Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Purchased a BT32

Default Just Purchased a BT32

Hello everyone. I am another new owner of a ShopBot BT32. Mine is still being built at this time. I plan to go and pick it up later this month. Until then, I will be studying the training material. I did order the 2.2 hp spindle and Aspire to go with it. I am computer literate and have been designing mechanical products in 3D for more years than I care to admit. I have also been into wood working for about 20 years, yet I still don't know as much about it as many other people do. After saying all of this, I am totally new to the CNC router world. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Like, how the hex am I going to get the thing out of my truck LOL.

Welcome!!
    Best advice, study - study - study, then when you unload it and plug it in you will have so many ideas in your head you wont be able to focus on cutting something
    Tim
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Congrats and welcome!
    Figure out your placement/Dust Collection/wiring/etc. , and watch as may of TJ's classes and Vectric tutorials as you can(You'll be having to much fun later
    http://www.shopbottools.com/mSupport/tutorials.htm

http://support.vectric.com/training-material

And maybe try some of Vectrics free projects to get your feet wet?
    http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects.html

I'd join Vectric Forum as well if you haven't already.
    You'll love it
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks to both of you. I had almost forgot the wiring. Darn. I need another 220V outlet. Thanks for reminding me.

Good time to order some router bits.

Download all of the FREE Trial software. Run them and learn to use the HELP files as well as the Tutorials. Download the manual for your machine and study, study, study. Call SB and find out if there is a 'demo' botter in your area. Botters can sign up with SB and open their shops for prospects and newbies to get some demo time. I did this with two demo botters in my area and it was a great help to actually SEE the machines running and ask questions while they were setting up and running jobs. Also PLEASE ask questions here, we ALL learn from each other. This is a large part of the power of SB and this forum. Congrats, you will be amazed at what you will end doing with your machine. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

While the electrician is there ask him to double check that your Ground is Good, also run some small braided wire INSIDE the DC piping! Normal grounding just doesn't fly with CNC when the static starts flying!
    Suggest you get your control computer stripped down to the essentials, and ALL antivirus/updates/internet fluff/and power settings turned to NEVER turn off. Might save you some Oopsies.
    Like Russ said, download SB3 and get familiar with it.
    Did you buy an 1/8" collet? Starter set of bits?
    Also like Russ mentioned...Whatever you THINK you'll be doing with it..Will CHANGE It really changes your thinking!
    If you had told me 15 months ago I'd be doing Buttons and Inlays.....I would have told you..."You're NUTS!!!"
    Not to disagree with Dave, But, maybe cut a little bit with the bits you have and get them dialed in...THEN post pics of any problems and see if any of the Forum have suggestions for bits that could improve speed/quality and then buy.
    Ask questions!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

A lot of good advise. Thanks. Keep it coming.
    Does everyone have their CNC direct wired? I will have to use 220V with a 60 amp breaker (8 gauge wire). Suspect a cord may not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Designer View Post
    A lot of good advise. Thanks. Keep it coming.
    Does everyone have their CNC direct wired? I will have to use 220V with a 60 amp breaker (8 gauge wire). Suspect a cord may not do it.
    I don't know about "everyone" but mine is direct wired (220V with a 60 amp breaker).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I mean 30 amp (I was bitten by the evils of copy/paste)

PRSalpha BT48