Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just Purchased a BT32

dittos on what Scott said on having nothing running in the back ground on your control computer. I had to learn the hard way about how this can cause communication issues and stop a project in progress.

Play with aspire and learn to design. Seeing a bot in operation could be very important but there was not one available for me. The forum is a wealth of knowledge. I have the buddy 32 but with a router, so i can pug in to a 110 on a 20 amp circuit

Oh, Not really sure how applicable/relevant this is to Buddy, But on Desktop..I put the Control computer and Desktop on a whole separate 20A GFI breaker(did I read somewhere GFI breaker was bad for some reason?) so that no other machine was in the loop for 120V. Also put it at the opposite end of the board from any other large "draws" such as compressor/saw/garage DC and closest to source. Had some Gremlins originally when compressor kicked in and Desktop was simply run out of one outlet out of 4 with other tools/lights on circuit. I added both the separate breaker/outlet at the same time as a UPS (mainly for line conditioning.. country power) unfortunately, so I can't say which solved the problem
    Maybe someone can say what's best, as Desktop only has 1 power supply for machine/spindle.
    As long as the electrician is coming anyways----Why not be optimum?
    Should probably also mention NOT to leave a USB in control computer after transferring files. I have my control computer "Dirtbagged" and when the flap is down you can't tell if USB is inserted Had Problem Monday with a Spacebar/Pause and the spindle NOT retracting from the cut!! Spent probably about an hour trying to troubleshoot without finding it... THEN saw USB was in port from the previous Day!
    Felt like an idiot! Reboot....Problem gone
    Rambling...
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott and Cowboy, can you tell me what size computer you use? Mine is a HP Pavilion with an Intel Core i3 64 bit processor, 2.53 GHz clock, and 4gb of ram. It has 3 USB ports. It seems like enough, but it has grown real slow over time. I need to get a tune up or a new computer to run the SB. Just cannot be sure.

Designer,
    We wound up going with the Dell(only afterwards heard about the poor USB's, but haven't had a problem I can point a finger at them).
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...e-out-of-three
    My brother stripped out(Black Vipered) all internet/anti-virus/bloatware etc.
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...-win7-computer
    Overkill for what Shopbot needs, but I use it as a design computer almost as much as the laptop. MUCH faster than the laptop with all the additional Internet stuff plus all the extra programs that the Shopbot doesn't need.
    Still blows me away by how fast it boots and does Vectric previews now. I never realized how much all that junk slows an everyday computer down.
    We went wired everything, But I'm barely computer literate and just wanted Simple.
    Strip it down and you should be fine with your set up, BUT listen to people who know more than me.
    scott
    Oh, Might help others to know which OS and which Vectric package you went with, and if any designing will be done on it...OR simply running files. Big Difference.
    Last edited by scottp55; 03-06-2015 at 07:59 AM.
    scott P.
    Maine

Still waking up here and i will get you my system information once i can see. Part of the control software has a speed test in it. The desired speed is anything over 75, I think. Someone here will correct me if i am wrong on that number. I thought that i knew computers when i started this but i was wrong, I knew the internet. If you go to this guys website and pick out your operating system you can use his guide on which services need to be turned off. You use his "BARE BONES" settings. Something as simple as windows telling your computer that you need an update during a cutting can give you a comm error. Even after i turned off everything there were still something running in the back ground and i cant remember how to find those, but they need to be turned off too.

I recently did a clean boot on my design computer because of an ad ware that i could not get rid of. It certainly sped up my computer, now its loaded with junk again.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/

I hope I get this right. I bought the Aspire software package. I have not figured it out yet, but when I got the email and downloaded it I got Aspire 8.0. Then, I received a disc set from Aspire. I loaded it just in case there was more and it loaded Aspire 4.5. I need to check with Aspire to see what is going on.

if you have room keep them both on your computer.

8 has a LOT of nice features and it's 64 bit, which can use your 64 bit computer(30-50 % faster someone said for modeling).
    The disc is(I think) $50 more and MAY be a good idea to pick up, but you'd have to wait for it.
    Maybe more info here,
    http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21800
    Call Shopbot and ask for Dianne and she'll hook you up with the right person.
    You bought through Shopbot right?
    I'm hoping for some of the features for next upgrade of VCP whenever
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Yes, I purchased it through ShopBot. Vetric told me that 8 was the new release. I did notice that it has a lot more commands showing in the menu. I will keep both for now; but use 8.

By the way. I am trying to layout my shop to make room for the BT 32. I see the measurements on the ShopBot site 37"(+12") x 54" x 68". From this it appears to take 49 inches for the table movement (length) and then 54 wide and 68 tall? What would someone suggest I allow for room to place the BT 32 (length x width)? I have limited room but want to make sure I leave room around it to work with the machine.

I have the BT 32 and have it positioned up against the wall on the left side of the machine. I have shelves built around it up to the frame that holds the Y extrusion. If you need a picture, I will try to take one. One good thing about the Buddy is that the table moves, but not the gantry. So the space we lose for the moving table is made up for by the fixed gantry...joe