Thread: Custom drill setup

Default Custom drill setup

I thought I would share my custom drill installation. I didn't want an air drill, minimal speed control, air compressor demands, etc. So I came up with a mount for an electric drill. Variable speed, 1/2" chuck capacity, reversible if necessary, and a lifetime guarantee on the drill! It's easily removable and works great.

Jim20150305_173139.jpg20150305_173121.jpg20150305_173157.jpg
    Jim

96 x 60 PRSalpha, 5HP Colombo spindle, Custom indexer, Custom vacuum table, Custom Fire Extinguishing System

Nice looks very well made, professional

Nicely done, Jim. Thanks for posting.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default Nice work

Nice work. So is the y position the exact same for both the drill and the spindle? Is there some micro adjustment or shim for that ?

You just have to move the drill down the x axis (say 6 inches or so) and re-zero the x before you run the drill tool path ?
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Thanks for the nice comments. I thought I would share to fertilize others thoughts and plans.

The y position is the same within a couple of thousandths. The x is offset 3.4". No shims or micro-adjustment, it's all in the design and machining of the parts that I made for the mount.

Jim
    Jim

96 x 60 PRSalpha, 5HP Colombo spindle, Custom indexer, Custom vacuum table, Custom Fire Extinguishing System

Very nice setup Jim.

I really like seeing how everyone does their own custom setups on their Shopbots.
    It looks like its mounted to the same z as the spindle? Did you have to beef up the z springs? Or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Iannone View Post
    Very nice setup Jim.

I really like seeing how everyone does their own custom setups on their Shopbots.
    It looks like its mounted to the same z as the spindle? Did you have to beef up the z springs? Or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave,
    Yes, it is mounted to the same Z as the spindle. I utilized the cage that shopbot sells for mounting their air drills. I have not beefed up the springs. I am assuming (or the time being) that they will be sufficient because if you add air drills from shopbot, using this cage, you don't change the springs. But, that being said, my intent is to monitor what happens and proceed from there.

Jim
    Jim