Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been a long time, making chips again.

Default Been a long time, making chips again.

Hello all, I've been out of the game for a while after I sold my PRS120 but I bought Gary Campbell's linear rail Shopbot. It's been a trial to remember all I forgot but it's coming back to me now. I've been cutting some 1/4" 6061 making a a pool filter wrench as the plastic ones don't last long. Anyway here's some pics, right off the machine, the cut quality is awesome. Thanks Gary and Brady Watson for getting me going again. Anybody needs quality work, they are the guys to ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Neville - Thanks for the kudos. Nice to see you posting again. Edges looks great!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Welcome back Neville. Cuts look good. Brady and Gary have a lot of knowledge and don't mind sharing.

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

Good to see you back up and going again Nev. figured you were getting back by the last email, did you made the camp? only seen a couple of photos and didn't see your beak!!.
    Gary
    Beckwith Decor Products
    Caveco Distributor, USA
    Custom CNC Tooling/Onsrud Distributor

Nev

Saw your video on FB. Holy Cow! Nice stuff! And those edges look fantastic! I wouldn't see as nice of an edge with my feed/speed and all that... Gary C. did a nice job with that machine!!! ( Let's hotrod a 5 x 10! Whaddya say?!)

See you soon. I owe you a pint of cold beverage, I am sure!

Monty

Tis the season Monty

Neville...
    Glad to see you are back at it, Man. I thought I might have to repo the old girl and knock the cobwebs and rust off of her! Nice work.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Not to worry Gary, she is a beauty, I like her before but I'm so impressed with the rigidity and mass of the machine. I look forward to cutting aluminum now, not how it used to be . I'm in love again ��

I think my friend with the fadal would be envious of the edge finish there. Is there a trick or is it Gary's machine?

Id like to say it was me, but it was Garys extremely well built Shopbot, well that and the right bit, feed and speed. 30 thou. passes, 15k rpm, 1&1 IPS, coolant mister and this bit: or similar. The grooves behind the cutting edge seem to polish the cut. Use as small a cut length as possible and a ramped entry. Ive gone up to 2 IPS on long straight cuts, but 1IPS seems to be a sweet spot for small and distance cuts on the same part. Bits of this type from any manufacturer seem to perform very well, and I have had rather successful performance out of the equivalent Onsrud High Speed Steel version on this machine Im happy to say. I did not acheive the same quality with HSS on my 120" machine. Im comparing apples to banannas though. I should also add that solid, unmoveable hold down is imperative. You can see slight chatter when I didnt have solid hold down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dubliner; 03-11-2015 at 11:12 AM.